Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Dye fabric + Ricky Tims pattern >

Dye fabric + Ricky Tims pattern

Dye fabric + Ricky Tims pattern

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 AM

I have dyed fabric for 25 years in a rag rug business which is now sold. What source did you use for the dyes. I used either Dharma or Pro Chem. There are a lot of things you can do to get pattern on the fabric. I'd love to visit with you.

Marcia
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 AM

Your fabrics are so beautiful I just might have to give dyeing a try...uh oh. something else added to my to-do list.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 AM

those are beautiful colors you created and the Ricky timms quilt is going to be fabulous! The only dyes I've ever meesed with are tie dye with RIT, and tea and coffee...nothing like you've done.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful colors...Love them all....
Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Love your colors and the project. I will not dye my own though. I tie dyed along time ago. That was enough for me.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 AM

Default I also hand dye fabric and it is not messy

I have been dyeing fabric for several years now. I usually dye a half yard and then later when the dyeing is done I tear it in half and over embellish one piece with stamps and/or sharpie markers. I also dye t shirts, socks and other clothing items at the same time. I take a few days in the summer to do a mega dye session and then am done for the year. My kids and grandkids love the clothing items and the fabric is for me. I get all my supplies from www. Dharmatrading.com . They have ready to dye fabrics, cotton, rayon, bamboo, silk at a reasonable price. I do table top dying in my kitchen with zip up plastic bags. It is not messy at all, not too labor intensive except for the hand rinsing/wringing. I do a machine rinse with Retyne and a final wash with synthropol and dry in a hot dryer. I have not had any problems with fading or bleeding. I highly recommend you give it a try. My go to book for dye recipes is "Hand-dyed Fabric Made Easy" by Adriene Buffington also sold by Dharma. Go to the web site and give it a good look see. If you also like rubber stamping try over embellishing. For that I use a permanent stamping ink, or fabric paint. The embellished fat quarters make a wonderful gift to our quilting friends as the fabric is totally unique.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 AM
LDB

Default Dying

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I do ice dying and other small activities with dye but I prefer to paint / spray my fabrics.
Looks as though you may be dying two pieces at once, one on top of the grating and one in the bottom of the tray. Is that correct? Great way to get at twofer! Do you have a tute on your ice / painting methods?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM

Beautiful colors. Great pattern.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

The only dying I have done is on corn husks, for corn husk dolls. It was really fun. I used beat juice and yarrow for the red and deep yellow I needed. I have used the color remover before. That is fun to fix a white blouse that accidently got into a red wash.

I did buy some rit dark navy dye last week to re-dye my jean bermuda shorts. I haven't tried it yet... Kinda scared. LOL!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
lbc

I have never tried dyeing my own fabric but you did a great job.