Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
bobbin thread storage question >

bobbin thread storage question

bobbin thread storage question

Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM

I'm with you on the toe thingies - several at each machine!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 AM

I made the boxes for full bobbins and the tree for empty bobbins.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobbin tree.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	417669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobbin 1.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	417670  
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM

I store all of my "empty" bobbins in a framed coin purse I got free in a Mollie Makes magazine. I store my wound bobbins with the thread using a rubber band. I can't remember where I saw this, but it is BRILLIANT!

Thread one end of the rubber band through your bobbin. Pull that end through the other end and pull tight. You now have a bobbin "button" on one end of your rubber band. Now wrap the "non-button" end (both bands) all the way around your thread and over the bobbin, as if you were buttoning a button. Gosh, I don't know if I explained it right. Sure wish I could find it online. I'm using it now and just LOVE it. Neither the bobbin or the spool of thread unravel and are kept together. You can even wind multiple bobbins and store several on one spool until you are ready to sew.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Some great ideas here, what a talented group! I really like the idea by Girlfriend of the self-adhesive bags; they certainly seem inexpensive enough and are in line with what I currently do. When I complete a project, I use a ’snack size’ Zip-loc bag to store the left-over matching spool of thread and bobbin.

I also just found some wooden bobbin (tray) holders, filled with bobbins at a church yard sale (25 cents a set) that I had never seen before. They are single wooded racks that remind me of Scrabble letter trays except they lay flat and have magnetic trips across the bottom to hold the bobbins secure. I just got them and unfortunately have not taken a photo of them yet, but I like them and plan on using them to hold my empty bobbins. Perhaps someone else has them that can share a picture. Of course, these are great for metal bobbins but would not work with the new plastic ones.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
Use the product called 'Bobbin Saver" You can see them on Amazon and they are great. Very inexpensive, easy to store, nothing comes unwound, and you can use the different colors for different machines. I have several and would never use anything else.
I think these are the greatest invention ever....I have one for each machine, and LOVE them. The only thing, I love King Tut thread for quilting, and if I have thread left over on bobbin and have a lot left over on a spool, I store both in a tiny ziploc bag! But otherwise, would not trade the Bobbin saver for anything else.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Joann's has a nice bottom case. I just purchase one.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 PM

I have used the straight sided pill bottles if I have only a few of one color (or if they are all the same color. Janome put out some colored bobbins in plastic cases -- I use pink for poly, blue for rayon and the clear for cotton. Helps me since I have some rayon and ploly that are the same colors.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I use the Bobbin Saver donuts for most of mine. A different color for each machine.
Also use the 2-sided plastic cases that can get at Walmart for little toy cars. I can store my specialty threads and bobbins in the same bin.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Unable to post pic. I put together with foam board a spool board. Cut skewers and small dowel rods leftover from other projects. Stuffed the dowel rods into the foam board for the size then pulled out and glued the end to go back into the board. The matching bobbin same way just under the spool. I angled the dowels so the spools wouldn't fall off. When I buy thread, I usually by 2 of what I need depending on the quilt.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by wellphooey View Post
I keep thread spools on those hanging, wooden spool racks (Joann's or Fons/Porter). The pegs on the rack are short so I bought some of those long toothpick/skewers that are about 4 inches long at the grocery. When I put the thread spool on the peg, I insert a skewer and then I can add the bobbin(s) to the top of the thread spool, keeping them all together.
I use these, too. I hang them on a nail (well actually a used sewing machine needle pounded into the wall). They look pretty with all the colors.