Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Swap Hosts

Awwww, Snip. So sorry. Data aside, that's a tough loss. Sending hugs.

NanaCC - if you join www.cuteembroidery.com you'll find literally thousands of designs by members and also daily links to freebies. Bernina Russia has tons of them.

Tashana, my first one was a combo that I originally purchased for sewing. I didn't want an embroidery machine but hubby talked me into it. Now I never take the embroidery piece off. To each her own, but I would personally opt for an inexpensive sewing only machine and an embroidery only one. I love my Brother PE770.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I have a Pfaff 2144 which I have enjoyed for years. I am continually being challenged and learning new things so that's the most important thing. I have a huge collection (Can you say a bazillion?) of free and purchased embroidery designs. I want to know if there is a way of storing and organizing them so that a picture of the stitch out is visible. I waste so much time shuffling through my designs, clicking on the choice and then waiting for it to come up in my 3D software. What do you do to see what each design in your collection actually is? Thank you for giving me your help and ideas.
I Love the Embrilliance Thumbnailer and made a screen shot of some of my designs displayed in a folder. This will give you an idea of what you see when you open a folder, a zip, or just what your desktop or Documents page will look like---depending on where you store designs. I save mine to MY DOCUMENTS, and then sort into category folders. Hope you find a program you really like![ATTACH=CONFIG]420560[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnails.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	420560  
Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Swap Hosts

That's what I use, too. You can see everything without the hassle of uploading it elsewhere. I don't remember where I got it, but it was very inexpensive and they send you a disk -- which I need to attempt to clean from the flood muck so I can put it on my new computer.

I don't remember where I got it, but one of the embroidery Yahoo groups has a download of file folders that make sense. I'm pretty sure it was DesignsbySiCK. Anyone remember if that's correct? I basically have a top level folder called embroidery and under that are the main categories with subfolders under those.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
I am so envious of all you tech smart people. My husband did everything computer in this house. IBM retiree and then taught computers at local university. Then he had the nerve to die!! Im lost in many ways without him!!
Oh I am sorry for your loss! Hugs!
Sandy
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda_GA View Post
One of the best forums I used when I was learning about embroidery is: http://www.sewforum.com/
There is a lot of people with embroidery machines that share so much information.
That is where I learned the most on how to use my 9700!! My dealer was worthless! Probably why I am not worried about dealer loyalty...never had support!
Sandy
Old 06-23-2013, 03:19 AM

"
"I don't remember where I got it, but one of the embroidery Yahoo groups has a download of file folders that make sense. I'm pretty sure it was DesignsbySiCK. Anyone remember if that's correct? I basically have a top level folder called embroidery and under that are the main categories with subfolders under those." (quote-krystyna)

I got an organizer here http://www.secretsof.com/content/608
Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 AM

I don't save all of my designs to a flash drive. I save the ones from class or that I'm stitching out and then every so often I go in and clean it out saving them to the appropriate folders on pc. I also have a CD backup too. Having all of your designs only in one place is scarey, especially if its a flash drive. They've been known to get corrupt and of course they ae easy to lose. If you don't have enough space on your pc to save them and have it run right then by all means get a portable hard drive. You can get one that's fairly small for 70 to 100. Worth it if it not only protects your designs, free or other wise. Alot of times the designs we get free aren't free later on and not all companies keep track and will let you down load them again. I have a folder called orders and under that are folders for each company that I get designs from. The designs in these folders keep thier orginal names so that if something happens to them I can contact the company and give them the orginal name (important especially if they've been archived) and I can redownload them. I save these designs again in folders to what they are like Holidays, then Christmas or Easter, whatever needed, then I create a folder under that with the company name and that's where they are saved. I don't change the name since the folder tells me what they are for. I save all of these folders, the orginal ones and the ones in each category to a cd so that if something happens or I need to put them on a new pc, I can just copy them over and don't have to do all of that work again. They are all where they need to be. I also have very little saved to my machine even though I've been told that I have lots of storage there. I like knowing where they all are and having them protected is very important rather on a separate CD or a portable hard drive. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 AM

Maryellen2u,
I have the Florinai image viewer and this is its only purpose, you save all the files to the folder and they all show up as pictures, you can click on them and they'll pull up the design. I bought it and then realized I didn't really need it, 5D pro can do the same thing. If you or anyone is interested I'll sell it for 50, it runs 100 normally. Its very easy to install and use and it will show all designs so even if you have designs from different formats, as long as they are in the folder you can see them. It's kind of like the Embrillance Thumbnailer but I'm not sure what it runs. The good thing about using a program like this is that you don't have to remember what the design name is or what folder its in. Its funny how fast we can accumulate designs even the free ones.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA View Post
????? For all you embroidery machine / computer techs......hubby thinks instead of me saving all the designs to a flash drive that I shoul be able to save them to an wxtnal hard drive, then hook that up via USB plug (I place of the flash drive) and us this. Can that work? OR will having all the designs saved to the hard drive bog down the EM or can 8 just pull up the folder I want say ... Flowers and open that one folder up on the EM and it not bog down the machi e?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks so much!!!!
I have all of my designs (thousands) on a "Seagate/My Passport" by Western Digital. I actually have 2 and have everything on both. ( just in case one dies or breaks I have everything backed up again.) I put my design in pre-designated folders, and back up every time I add new designs. I plug in the Seagate and drop the items directly to the 2g thumb drive and use it directly on my Quattro, or I have other items I am working on in folders on my desktop, things I want to make changes to. Once the changes are made, I make sure I name it, and date it (to know changes were made), then add it back to the appropriate folder. I know the original from the changed design by the name and date, that way I can alway go back to the original, copy and paste to my Florian software and make new changes. Original is always safe. I also have Floriani image maker, very nice program, give you thumbnail pictures of each design without opening your design software.

Last edited by Bneighbor; 06-23-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
LaQuita, my machines both use a flash drive, but I cannot imagine keeping all my designs on one! After collecting designs for two or three years I have thousands and they wouldn't fit. I have them all on my computer (backed up on disk, on a second computer and to an online backup service).

This helps in several ways:
1. I have a program that visually displays PES and other files so I can see what they are
2. I can open the color charts and convert their colors to the threads I have on hand
3. I have all my designs organized in folders by category and by what makes sense to ME.

Hard drives will fail eventually, so be sure you have several methods of back up and do it once a week.
I so totally agree with this. I have all my designs saved on several flash drives, a datastick, and external driveS and than some.

Although I have gotten a ton of free designs I also have invested a good amount on other designs and not about to lose any of it.

I just this past week spent the time to organize them in folders and named many of them so I could easily find them in various categories. Had not done this earlier on and it was a mess trying to find things. I even color coded my flash drives by where I bought the designs so if something happens I can go back to that site and re-download it if need be.