Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quitling Magazines >

Quitling Magazines

Quitling Magazines

Old 06-23-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
I tear out what I like. I buy the see through notebook inserts, slip them in the plastic insert, and put them in large spiral ring notebooks. You could have a notebook for runners, one for quilts, wall hangings etc. I've found the large business notebooks at sales for 50 cents each.
I do this same thing. Figure I'll be dead before many of them get done, but it's fun to dream! Also, it saves time leafing through the magazine and getting distracted with quilts that I know I'll never make. I only keep ones I'll actually make. After I finish the kits I've already bought. Maybe I need to get off here and go sew! :-)
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 AM

We moved a couple of years ago to a smaller house and I didn't have room for all the crates of old quilting magazines so I copied what I wanted and donated the rest. I do not now subscribe to any of them and find I have plenty of patterns that I copied and many more are available on line for free. The new magazines are mostly ads anyway and I seldom see anything I really want to make.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:56 AM

I had a subscription to American Patchwork & Quilting, but not renewing it, and I bought the first Quilting Quickly, I just go through them a couple times, and only keep the ones that I'm pretty sure I'll make something from. Give others to a quilting friend. Too many free patterns!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM

I cut out quilt patterns I like and put them in plastic sleeves.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I admire your organizing skills ladies. I happen to have enough to open a quilting library.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 AM

Remember, 85% of a magazine is advertising. Tear out what you think you would ever use and take the rest to the Goodwill. Someone else will like what you didn't. I use the slip in pages and have a book for bags, baby, etc. I don't like applique so never take those out, etc. We will not live long enough for the magazine to become valuable but if I keep to many I use up to much FABRIC storage....
Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 AM

I agree with quilt til u wilt. I tear the patterns I want and put the other magazines at the garage sale for free or take to our quilt group and share if they want. I also hate to throw them away.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I make kits of the patterns I want to make and put the magazine in with the kit. Sometimes I copy the pattern pages and put them in with the kit in clear plastic page covers. It's fun to just pick out a kit and everything is all together to make the quilt. I put them in gift bags and store them in my studio closet. I do not include the backing. It gets chosen when the quilt is completed. I must say that I do still have a stack of quilt magazines in that closet too. I like to get them out sometimes and look through them. I don't subscribe to the magazines anymore. The only quilting magazine I buy now is the Quilting Quickly that comes out quarterly. It includes all those precut patterns that are so quick and easy to do.
I like your idea of making kits. It sounds like easy fun. I've sort of started one with scraps of all peachy-pink and greens. I'm going to take your suggestions and follow through. Thanks!
~ Cindy
Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 AM

I'm thinking of cataloging mine on a spread sheet, with volume and page number. I have a lot of old ones that were given to me, but I now get them digitally.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 AM

Smile Quilting Quickly Magazine

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I had a subscription to American Patchwork & Quilting, but not renewing it, and I bought the first Quilting Quickly, I just go through them a couple times, and only keep the ones that I'm pretty sure I'll make something from. Give others to a quilting friend. Too many free patterns!
I have 2 of the Magazines. Are there more out as I woud like to get all of them?