Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ? >

while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

while quilting my house goes to pot ..any one else ?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Now that I retired I can keep the house done up easily. I vacuum before I lay a quilt on the living room floor to measure it and get the backing the right size. (Then instead of dog hairs it has thread on the carpet! At least it's a colorful trade off) My sewing room gets straightened up between quilts. I don't want the last mess to get mixed up in the new mess.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM

I find it so much easier to do my sewing and quilting if the house is clean. I cut on the island in the kitchen and hate to have to move a bunch of stuff before I can cut my fabric. If I'm baking I don't want to have to work around a bunch of sewing clutter. When sewing I want to have a good work area to sew and iron pieces in. I usually clean, do laundry, and work on outside chores in the morning and sew in the afternoons now that I'm retired. If working on a special project I may sew for several days but still have a set of chores that are done before I start. It was a different story when I worked - If I wanted to sew then the housework didn't get done - you can't do it all so you make choices - and that is ok!
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 AM

I am spoiled - my husband is retired military - now he does ALL! the housework. The last time I cleaned is over 15 years when we left Corpus Christi Texas
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 AM

I only wish i stopped at one child - i came from what people say is a large family - I'm the youngest of 18 kids (17 biological, 1 half sister) I have 2 sets of twins and a set of triplets. I wasn't given the opportunity to have just one child. I rotated the chores between the kids from the time they were 3 (3 years olds can vacuum and dust - kinda) better than not doing at all.

I have been sewing for 30 plus years - i have never picked up sewing scraps - i always told my kids that if they want this made then you need to work for it. lol
Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 AM

Im a pack rat for sales, so you can imagine what my craftroom and quilting room looks like :>(
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM

I always remember a good house is lived in. Mine will not make House Beautiful, but my husband and I like our home. That is what counts. I like folding clothes. There is just two of us, so the amount is not bad. Dishes another story, but I do have a dishwasher. Yea, but dusting ick. And I live on a dirt road. Dust all day and it still looks bad. Just don't write your name on my table or TV. Like I said, my house is lived in and we enjoy it.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 AM

Clean enough to be healthy, dirty enough to be happy . . . . pretty much describes my home. However, when the quilting bug bites hard . . . . well then we become delirious at this house.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:46 AM

We now live in a small fishing shack with only 2 bedrooms. It is much easier to maintain and not just because it's smaller. The "fishing shack" concept puts it into perspective. We moved here from a much higher maintenance mountain retreat with a huge quilting studio downstairs that my DH had custom made for me. Here, my quilting area dominates the living area but my DH and I prefer to be together whenever possible so this works for us. (We were both widowed suddenly from long, happy first marriages.) I get much more done here and enjoy the laid back nature of this house. We clean when necessary! The kitchen, bathrooms, and floors are cleaned when required but not to excess.

I can't believe that no one's mentioned the Dress from the Dryer method of doing laundry. I finally told my hairdresser that I did own more clothes but often just put the soiled set in the washer and dressed in the clean set from the dryer. Having the washer/dryer in the bathroom makes this a "no folding" no brainer. My DH and I have mostly dressed this way for the 5 years we've been together. He's a huge help in starting the wash and transferring to the dryer. He also makes the bed even when I get up last. I spend most days blissfully piecing tops for Project Linus knee deep in using up my fabric stash kept on shelves in the guest bedroom. I am one lucky lady!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
Before I became addicted to quilting, my house was always immaculate! Now, it gets a lick and a promise (spring and fall cleaning are more thorough). I decided that, when I am gone, no one will remember the clean house...but people will (hopefully) cherish the quilts I have made for them.
Well said, Wanda.

I find if dishes are done, living area tidy & carpet vacuumed it will pass. If I get visitors they can come sit on the sofa in my sewing room or take my house as it is. I fold clothes as I take them off the line - eliminates a lot of ironing. My iron is for pressing seams.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I share a sewing room in my office...I just shut the door...I clean it up when I can no longer open the door to get in...This is why I am in the process of building a new sewing room that is not going to be in the house...My house is pretty clean...