Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made a cutting table with shelves underneath? >

Has anyone made a cutting table with shelves underneath?

Has anyone made a cutting table with shelves underneath?

Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Watch CL's freebies--mine is an old (probably 40 or more years when they were really big) office desk--cut out space on one side for sitting, and storage space with doors on the other. I love it, and the great big cutting mat fits great and leave me room on one end for letting the fabric spill over or leave my boxes of stuff on one end out of the way. Mine was given to me when we moved from one AF assignment to another years ago.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Could u get someone to cut down your kitchen cupboard so you could use them. They could cut the kick board off and maybe there would be some room on the top they could trim off so you could use them. It sure would save u Money. I had my husband cut a cabinet in half so it was not so deep so I could use it as a medicine cabinet. It works great.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Have you gone to Pinterest.com ....they have lots of pictures...just search for sewing cutting table...I drool there a lot.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM

32 years ago I went to a salvage yard and picked up 3 hollow core doors. [Light weight, 36”wide all the same size]
I screwed 2x4’s on for the legs, then cut plywood triangles to stabilize the frame on each shelves.
I made several, on one I got a solid core, cut it in half and used it for the end and legs.
Then I put rollers on the 4 legs. I still use it.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Jan, it is so nice you show graphics when you are explaining something. Thanks! I have a similar but different dilemma. I bought a desk that I plan to replace my ironing board with. I got a great deal on a "like new" item at a yard sale. The dimensions of the top are 47"x 23" and I want to make the top an ironing surface. I want to keep the desk intact and use the drawers for storage and the open space to store my serger and other sewing machine. When I measured I figure I need a "riser" of 6" and wonder what I can use under there. I think it would be great if some pre-fab drawers are that size, but probably not.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
My sewing table does have a shelf underneath but it merely stores a couple of plastic bins of future projects.
I might design it differently today, but can't afford to have another one built' this one is fine.

Jan in VA
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM

Remenber a very important thing is the height of you cutting table. Make sure that the height is correct for YOU so your back and shoulders do not get tired. I have a old steel door set on books cases that are 22' high which is a good height for me. I actually leave the center open to put my scrap box. Also go to a rehab store and try to find bases that are the correct height.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM

I took a baby changing table and put a board on the top that was covered with material. I then put my cutting pad on the top and you also have two shelves to put supplies or whatever you want. It works perfect. I love it. I found the changing table at Goodwill for 10.00
Old 06-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Check out the Mission Organization Forum I know I have seen photos of cutting tables with shelves underneath there.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 AM

Gale, If you don't want particle board, look around at Good Wood stores. I bought my bookcase there when they had a sale. They have finished and unfinished wood products of all kinds. They may be online too.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Have not created my ideal cutting table yet - still have folding table set on cinder blocks.

However where I used to work we had two large work spaces created by putting a section of butcher block countertop or really thick plywood on top of two drawer filing cabinets or other storage cabinets of similar size. In order to get them tall enough for working comfortably we put cinder blocks under the corners as they did not need to be movable.

Also if there is some local or nearby business that is selling out or remodeling and selling their store fixtures, go check it out. You can sometimes get really good buys on items to be repurposed - shelves, sales counter, cabinets, etc.