Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Missouri!!! >

Hello from Missouri!!!

Hello from Missouri!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 08:49 AM

Hello Gay and Kathy D! Another Missourian checking in! I'm about an hour SE of St. Louis, which sounds to be somewhere in the middle of the two of you!

I'm part of another quilting board and really enjoy discussing the topic with others and getting their ideas on projects. I've been quilting since about 2003 also, but after I resigned from my job at the time. I don't have the fancy stuff. Mostly what I create is done by hand or on a regular Singer sewing machine! I have 3 daughters, two of which are still living at home. I also have one granddaughter and one grandson!

Current projects include a crazy quilt, crib sized, which should be done in about a week, a full-sized cathedral window quilt, bookmarked for my dad's retirement, and this weekend I'll be shopping with a friend to get materials for "Bound to the Prairie" quilt pattern.

See ya!
Sally
Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Hey you Missourians, can a NC gal welcome you, too? It's nice to meet a Gay, my paternal grandmother was a Gay and my sister has her name as a middle name. I think it's reather unusual, isn't it?

I envy you your Janome, I looked and looked at it, but then my Alaska grands won out. I bought a Singer Ingenuity for way less money and saved the rest toward my next trip to Alaska.

Welcome Gay and do share your experience.
Sharon :wink:
Old 03-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Hey mimisharon! You may join only if you share whether you are mountain, coastal or mainland North Carolinian! My family spent a large chunk of our summer last year in NC. I have an uncle, retired marine, who lives in Morehead City permanently now. My middle daughter spent 5 weeks with him learning about photography (his new vocation since retiring). We fell in love, again, with your great state that my husband actually has been job hunting out there! We can't decide if we love the mountains or the coast the most!

Ya'll are talking about machines that if I start looking, I'll want so bad I'll cry :( . I don't even want to do that to myself so I stick with the old fashion way of quilting :roll: .

Sally
Old 03-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Well, SallyJo, I went to Morehead City yesterday, and New Bern and Swansboro, and made a big circle of my drive. Can you guess where I am? I live 20 miles south of the largest Marine Corps base on the East Coast....can't guess? OK OK, Jacksonville. VERY coastal. But I grew up in WV foot hills of WV.

Hillybilly Sharon with a southern twang sayin'

Y'all come, hear?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM

BWG! I'm jealous! My uncle was stationed at Cherrypoint throughout his military career. He loved it so much, he stayed. Some sad news, the fishing pier he fished at, worked at, photographed from for some 20-30 years was torn down last summer to build condos. Depressing. Sportsman's pier. I have a lot of fond memories of it too thanks to him!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 AM

I live in Wilmington NC about 20 miles from Wrightsville Beach and 30 from Carolina Beach. While the weather here is nice most all year round the huricanes are terrible. Once during H.Fran, we lived in a trailer then, so many pine trees fell that they blocked every door and window to our home. We couldn't get out for 2 days till someone came with a chainsaw to get us out. Then there was H. Floyd. We nickname him Flooding Floyd cuz of all the water he left behind. But, a big but, I wouldn't move from here if you gave me a trillion dollars. I love the coast.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 PM

When I first came here in 1970, everyone went to Sportsman Pier. The hurricanes did so much damage to the piers in 1996 up to this past year that not many are left. We loved to eat at several of the seafood restaurants in Morehead.

Good memories, when you come again you'll have to call me and we'll walk on the beach if I'm still able to walk.
Sharon
Old 03-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Nice to meet you sallyjo. I really love quilting , talking about it, and shopping for it. lol There is always so much to learn. I love the cathedral window quilts, and have one on my to do list, but not started yet. I just got home from the quilt shop not too far from me. It is so unique. I just love it, and always come home so excited. It is a little ways in the country. This ladies husband made it for her. It is made out of an old refurbished chicken coop. They have built on to it, and she has everything imaginable, and she is reasonably priced ( She calls it the Quilt Coop) Gay if you ever go visit your niece, you will have to go there as it is not real far from her town. Anyway I am excited about my new fabric and can't wait to get started. Again it is nice to meet another missourian sally jo . Like hearing about your projects! :D
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 AM

Hello Gay and welcome to the best quilt site around. What part of MO do you live in. I was born and raised in Southeast Mo and moved to AZ in 1978.

Hope you enjoy all the chats and boy can you learn alot just by reading and asking questions.

Jane Sisk
Tucson, AZ