Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM

I have a few machines and I would loan out one of the old ones that I never use. But the ones I use a lot or one of my FWs - not a chance. Sewing machines are personal and they seem to adapt to the regular user. I never have as good luck on someone else's machine and I don't want to take the chance of having one of mine messed up. I would loan you my car but not my Berninas!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM

No way - It's just not a good practice - if something happens it will sour the relationship.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

I made that mistake ONCE! I loaned my machine to a sister in law who was making pj's clothes for her girls for Christmas- I was working a lot & not sewing much so figured---not a big deal---2 years later I asked for it back...my brother brought it to me asking..."how long are you going to need it? Laura is right in the middle of dresses and this is pretty inconsiderate!" then i'm told---she was having problems with it- so could I get it fixed before I 'give it back' to her..... I was LIVID! did have to take it to a shop- it was a $100 bill to fix it- I called said bro & said- if 'Laura' wants to use the machine you guys can go pick it up... which they did- I went out & bought myself a new machine & never asked about that one again...I have a couple (spare- inexpensive- non-computerized) machines - laying around, if anyone comes over & wants to sew they are welcome to set one up & use it- in my home- I do not loan out my machines anymore- I do let people know where they can find inexpensive machines of their own if they want/need one.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Lending out your sewing machine is like another woman riding on the back of your husband's Harley.

It ain't gonna happen!!!!!!!!

LOL
I'd let someone ride with him before I loaned out my machine. My husband knows his own way home and isn't easily broken!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Not even a possibility. None of my neighbors or in-laws know how to use a machine. Our oldest Daughter does, but she has two machines. If they broke I would just buy her another.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

No. I am the only user of my machine.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I'd let someone ride with him before I loaned out my machine. My husband knows his own way home and isn't easily broken!
So funny!! I love it!

Jan in VA
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have lent my machine to my young teen neighbor who learned to sew on said machine at my house. The machine her mom had was not working well and both of us wanted the teen to finish her quilt. She is smart, sure, quick to learn and I knew she'd take as good care of it as I do....the machine I lent her is a vintage Bernina 830. It's such a workhorse I used to say in my shop that it could be dropped off the table, picked, and would work just fine again. Of course, that's NOT something I'd like to have happen!! But the point was made to the students who were hesitant to use it in a class we taught.

I makes me crazy to have to lend my own mother my machines as I don't think she *does* take care of them. She just tries to 'force' her way thru any problem; she's of the "kick-it-if-it-doesn't-work school. But she makes me feel so guilty because her three older machines don't work - due to the above school of thought - and she really can't afford any more to take them for constant repair or to buy a new one. I try to make sure she uses them at my house, and even then I have to "fix" something every time she's here.

Jan in VA
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM

The only person I have ever lent my machine to is my Mother. I know she will take very good care of it. I trust her with my life.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

That answer is easy: NO!