Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to the experts >

Going to the experts

Going to the experts

Old 11-22-2009, 03:55 AM

When I want a book or magazine that they don't have I put in a request.
Sometimes they get them and I can check them out.

Worth asking your library if you take requests.

Just a thought
Old 11-22-2009, 05:04 AM

beginning quilter?---Quick Quilts. i stopped all the rest. just buy one occassionaly.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Another vote here for McCalls Quick Quilts. Fun patterns, easy to follow for beginners and just an all around nice magazine.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 AM

An excellent book (found at library) is called "Rotary Magic" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro. Great helps for beginners. Pictures, easy instructions too. I learned so much from this book I bought one on Amazon and have referred to it many times!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM

I hit e-bay for magazines. Usually, I can get 10-15 magazines delivered for about ten dollars. I just can't justify paying more than that, considering I am mainly looking for techniques, not necessarily the latest fabric designs. Some of the stuff I've found in older magazines is still new to me.

My library has no quilting magazines. :cry:
Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 AM

cminor: Let us know which quilt magazine you decide to get and what you think of it.

Me, I actually stopped all of my subscriptions except for the AQ Magazine. It's a more advanced magazine and I absolutely love it!!! I also decided to get the Quilter's Home magazine, even though it covers a lot of basic stuff. I can't help it; that guy Jeff is so hilarious! Whenever I get the magazine I read it cover to cover right away. He sure makes me laugh. That would be a great one for those who are just starting out on their quilting journey.

And while I don't resubscribe to the Quilter's Newsletter, it has started coming to the house, which means either they made a mistake or someone has blessed me with a subscription and hasn't said anything. I do have a Secret Sister in my local guild and she might have done something like that. I used to subscribe to it but I haven't been happy with the direction they've gone in the past year and decided to let my subscription lapse.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 AM

I love magazines too, however I stopped them all because I really enjoy watching it done. I now subscribe to The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. There I can watch it on my computer screen. If there's a project I want to make I can watch it many times till it sinks in. I love the show.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 AM

when do they come on, and would you share the link also? i have even lost the times for quilt shows on t.v. somehow got sidetracked from catching them, but would like to do so this winter. any idea when all the quilt t.v. shows come on? we have direct t.v. & i guess if i werent' so techn. challenged, i could find them all.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 AM

This board is just amazing. Last night I got a message from Martha Jo offering to send me some of her old magazines! I am super excited.

It's great how friendly and thoughtfull people here are :-)
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

We do have very generous board members :D :D :D

Check out your PBS stations for quilting shows. In my area Saturday mornings they are on from 8am until 12:30. There are some on during the weekdays, too. Even the sewing shows are touching on quilting or techniques that work in quilting/piecing blocks. You should be able to visit your stations website and find the tv listings, too :wink:

Our library does not allow the magazines to be checked out, but I do enjoy looking through them, and I photocopy a pattern if it interests me. They do give the magazines away after being on the shelf for a year.