Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
QB Block-of-the-Month, July 2013 - Blackford's Beauty - Directions & Discussion >

QB Block-of-the-Month, July 2013 - Blackford's Beauty - Directions & Discussion

QB Block-of-the-Month, July 2013 - Blackford's Beauty - Directions & Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by carol40965 View Post
Wow, love the block. I'm new to quilting. I would like to see the completed quilt and other blocks along with tutorials, if possible. I think this will be my first attempt at cutting/sewing quilt blocks.
Welcome to quilting and welcome to the board. This block is one of 7 so far. We won't know what the quilt looks like until December when we get our last block. But this is an excellent way to do a quilt. You can go back and look for the blocks of the month starting in January. You can catch up through out the year. We aren't in a hurry and it's a super way to learn different techniques. And by all means, if you have a question, just ask. I can't believe all I've learned from this board. So just jump in. Most of the blocks have the directions but no tutorials. But if you need a tutorial, do a search and I'm sure someone at some time did a tut on just about everything. Have fun, and post your pictures when you finish.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Tks Klgreene. I will do that. I'm very excited. How do I know how much fabric to purchase?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by carol40965 View Post
Tks Klgreene. I will do that. I'm very excited. How do I know how much fabric to purchase?
That's a real good question. And hard to answer. But if you do not have a stash, and are starting fresh, I'd find a fabric you really love that you would like to use thru out the quilt. Maybe 2 yards. Then pick colors from that fabric. Say you found a fabric that you love that has green, red, blue, orange and yellow, and white in it. I would get a fat quarter of each color that looks really good with the fabric. But I would get a half yard or yard of white for background fabrics in some of the blocks. They can be prints, don't suggest stripes for you yet, solids.

Here is how I decided what to use in mine. I found acute little fabric that was a white background, with black and yellow little daisies. So I got a yard of that because I knew I wanted more than three colors in my blocks. So I got fat quarters of black and white, white and black, a couple yellow print on print, as I got into a couple blocks, I added a period green, so got a couple fat quarters with the green and black and white. I didn't add them all at once, since you are doing one block a month, although if you are going to catch up with us, you may need to. What is left over is your stash.

Just start slow, and keep building. You can always PM me if you want to. I'm home most of the time.
Katie
Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 AM

Ugh I need to catch up! I've been working on so many other things!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Get ready everyone, as I will be posting the new block pattern & direction's for the month of August 2013. I am hoping to stay up & post it right after midnight on the 1st, so be looking for it. Hope everyone has their July BOM done & just waiting for the August one!!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Get ready everyone, as I will be posting the new block pattern & direction's for the month of August 2013. I am hoping to stay up & post it right after midnight on the 1st, so be looking for it. Hope everyone has their July BOM done & just waiting for the August one!!
I'm ready!!!