Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM

I have read recently that Singer brand needles should be used ONLY in Singer machines. Apparently they are now making needles a bit differently than in the past. I don't remember the technical reason but I do remember that it was mentioned that most of the other needles that I had ever heard of were OK to use in any other machine...just not Singer needles.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I thought all brands of the same SYSTEM of needles would be interchangeable. Example: a singer 15x1 needle would also be acceptable for a machine that usually used a schmetz 15x1 needle.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 AM

I have read recently that Singer brand needles should be used ONLY in Singer machines. Apparently they are now making needles a bit differently than in the past. I don't remember the technical reason but I do remember that it was mentioned that most of the other needle brands that I had ever heard of were OK to use in any other machine...just not Singer needles.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I thought all brands of the same SYSTEM of needles would be interchangeable. Example: a singer 15x1 needle would also be acceptable for a machine that usually used a schmetz 15x1 needle.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla View Post
I have read recently that Singer brand needles should be used ONLY in Singer machines. Apparently they are now making needles a bit differently than in the past. I don't remember the technical reason but I do remember that it was mentioned that most of the other needle brands that I had ever heard of were OK to use in any other machine...just not Singer needles.
Singer needles haven't been "Good" for some time. I don't think it's so much that they're made "differently" a 15x1 needle has to fit a certain way or it's not a proper 15x1 needle, I think they're just like their new machines - not well made with a lot of quality control issues. Honestly, they couldn't change the way a 15x1 needle works, it wouldn't work in Older Singers either. I lump them with Dollar store needles. They'll work in a pinch. I sew almost exclusively on vintage Singers, and I use Schmetz or Organ.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:53 PM

if they just wanted to sew a seam back up I'd offer to do it for them.
If they were interested in getting into sewing I'd offer to help them run down a good simple vintage machine and help them learn to use it.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes it seems like the most competent, careful users of items are the least likely to ask to borrow someone else's items.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I would not lend any of my machines. But I may ask the neighbor what it is they need done, and perhaps offer to either do it for them, or let them do it at my house.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Only in my home
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM

No one has ever borrowed either of my machines. I might let someone sew on my older Viking 500 (in my home under my supervision) but it was my first "expensive" machine and I'm pretty attached to it, so maybe not. As for my other machine, no one touches my Bernina 730E but me! I always think of my dear neighbor, who back in the day bought a new Janome Memory Craft 8000 that her daughter begged and pleaded to borrow...then she took it home and dropped it down a flight of stairs!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Never, I will not let my kids use my machines and they are in their mid to upper thirties, no one takes care of other peoples belongings, i dont ask to borrow, so they better not either.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Nope. No way, no how. I would let them use it at my house, but not take it home with them. If they don't have one of their own, I'd be afraid they'd start messing with settings and whatever or trying to cram too many layers through or something and I'd be having to take my machine to the doctor. Nope. I'd have to be able to supervise.