Kitchen Towels

Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 AM

Have you considered using bar towels? Places like Sam's Club and Cosco carry them in the section that has restaurant supplies. They are not as pretty (usually white with a blue stripe) but I found they work well.
Several years ago dryer sheets would leave grease stains on certain fabrics that did not wash out. The heat of the dryer apparently set the stain. A few years later when my hubby was unemployed for a while I stopped using any kind of fabric softener. It just wasn't a necessity. Haven't bought any since. The dryer makes them soft enough. I have since learned that softener makes towels less absorbent. Periodically you need to wash them and not use softener if you like using it.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 AM

About 4 months ago, I went to Amazon and ordered these diapers. They aren't fancy but I dare you to find anything that is more absorbent for drying dishes, cleaning up messes, etc. I keep the stack near my kitchen sink. Every morning, I take a new one out and put it on the counter. If it gets too wet or too messed up, I put it in the laundry and pull a clean one out. I launder them separately from everything else. You couldn't pay me to use a terry towel or microfiber cloth in the kitchen. Hang something pretty if you must, but use the diapers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM

About 4 months ago, I went to Amazon and ordered these diapers. They aren't fancy but I dare you to find anything that is more absorbent for drying dishes, cleaning up messes, etc. I keep the stack near my kitchen sink. Every morning, I take a new one out and put it on the counter. If it gets too wet or too messed up, I put it in the laundry and pull a clean one out. I launder them separately from everything else. You couldn't pay me to use a terry towel or microfiber cloth in the kitchen. Hang something pretty if you must, but use the diapers.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM

I use regular bath hand towels that match my kitchen. So many of the kitchen towels these days have those awful printed designs that feel like plastic . William Sonoma has a good waffle woven cotton towel that I like. I HATE HATE HATE the microfiber towels - they are like fingernails on a blackboard to me!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:42 AM

I found you just have to look around and feel test towels. If they aren't thick I pass on them. I usually get mine from craft fairs that have the ones that hang over the handle on the oven door. They are usually less than $10. When I find some thick ones I get several.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilterj View Post
Kitchen towels just aren't made like they used to. What happened to the good ole terry cloth
towels they used to make? Does anyone know where we can find these towels? I have been
buying towels from walmart but they just don't seem to dry dishes or spills very well.
I buy mine at Kohls and like them very much..of course I wait for them to be on sale at 50% off and it never fails I have a 30% off coupon to use also!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 AM

If towels are micro fiber towels, don`t use softner or dry in dryer. Air dry
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM

My favorite: old fashioned flour sack, all cotton. Can't go wrong!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Dix

I have heard just recently that soften sheets coat the fiber of towels!!! so I have quit using it in my load of towels and really do not notice any difference in softness!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

I bought old fashion birdseye diapers at WalMart several years ago and absolutely wore them out before I discovered the towels in the cooking utensil section of Sam's. The Sam's towels are so big that you can cut them in half, hem the cut side and fancy them up if you are so inclined. Diapers are wonderful. So are the towels at Sam's. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post