Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making >

2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

2x Original WW2 patch quilts almost complete after 8 years in the making

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Thank you so much for everything!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM

One heavy duty sleeve at the top would be plenty, as the quilt will hang from that. Unless you expect the quilt(s) to be shown outdoors where it might be windy, I don't see the need for a bottom sleeve as well.

Thank you for honoring our veterans in such an outstanding way! Your quilts are wonderful!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM

Now those are indeed a labor of Love !!!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM

Wow very impressive! Great quilts!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 PM

What an awesome project Steve. Look forward to seeing them in a musem or quilt show special exhibit.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon Chaffino View Post
What an awesome project Steve. Look forward to seeing them in a musem or quilt show special exhibit.
Sharon, the quilts will be in the special exhibit at the San Diego Quilt Show at the convention center from 5-7 September. Their first showing! I am super excited.

I am finishing the sleeves tonight. I doubled the fabric and did long (111") sleeves only on the top. Thanks so much for all of your input. Will have some finished photos tomorrow of them hanging up properly.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM

Beatutiful work, Steve.
You might want to contact the Truman Museum in Independence, MO. This museum is lovely and gets lots of traffic.
Well done!
Paula in Omaha.
(I have my father's dog tag on my key ring)

Originally Posted by ocsfollowme View Post
Happy July 4th!

After wasting a few weeks of thinking about doing the reverse binding by machine or by hand, I just decided to jump in and do it back hand. About 7 stitches per inch. Two days work, about 8 movies, and some sore hands. All I have to do now besides purchasing a set of WW2 USMC enlisted rank for the border, is to make the sleeves for the reverse to hang. Going to see if I can get away with having a full length on the tops. Any suggestions? The quilts weight in at 14lbs each. King size. A lot more sewing by hand!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]422483[/ATTACH]
Old 07-16-2013, 07:28 PM

I completed sewing on the labels today, so minus a few patches in route via the USPS, my 8 year project is complete!

My quilts will have their first public showing at the San Diego Quilt Show from 5-7 September 2013 in a special section.

I updated my website this past weekend with hundreds of photos of the quilts being put together. I still have to create a book and add 870 pages for each of the patches so that I can have a small write up of what each of the patches stand for. Otherwise, it is a mystery quilt with a bunch of colorful insignia on them--without meaning.

www.ww2patchquilt.com

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]424315[/ATTACH]

The labels are slightly different since each of the quilts has different groupings of patches on them. Thanks for checking out this thread of my last few months of my 8-year project.

Please check out my website dedicated to this project. How many quilts have their own website? =)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	424314   Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt_1_label.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	424315  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Wow! What an outstanding and worthwhile effort! I hope that your glorious tribute gets the exposure and appreciation it deserves.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Thank you for your service to our country. Glad you are home.

You might check with some of the national quilting association and ask them for advise and maybe contact the major quilting magazines, quilt book publishers, and organizers of national or touring shows. Quilt National does a show on odd numbered years at the Dairy Barn Cultural Arts center in Athens Oh and they tour their show quilts when the one in Athens closes. You could also check with the Folk Art Museum in New York, NY.

Started writing this before reading beyond the first page, but saw you at least have the first show scheduled. this is an awesome project and a wonderful tribute. If you are looking for a permanent site after touring I'd suggest you cast a net far and wide as someone may take you up on it. Maybe even someplace in DC like the Smithsonian where lots of visitors pass through(although they may have more things than they know what to do with), as well as any other suggestion offered. If there is a museum connected to the national WWII momument that may be an idea too. Good luck with the project.

Last edited by starshine; 07-16-2013 at 08:28 PM.