Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patchwork backing for duvet cover (how to?) >

Patchwork backing for duvet cover (how to?)

Patchwork backing for duvet cover (how to?)

Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Patchwork backing for duvet cover (how to?)

Hi, I am new here, and so glad I found you all!!!

I have never made a quilt!! But....I am armed with a bunch of books and have been watching YouTube and some rented DVDs on quiltmaking and I think I'm just about ready to take some baby steps.

I have a simple question (probably a simple question for all of you): I sleep with a pug, and she's a hairy one at that. I like duvet covers because there is not a lot of bulk and I can wash them easily (I hope posting this is not heresy on this board...I want to make a good first impression).

I would like to make some blocks and back the blocks (with something), but don't want to use any batting. I would then use a second separate section for the back. Can this work? I'm not quite sure what to use to back the blocks on the front of the "patchwork" (technically, I guess this wouldn't be a quilt??). I'm just not sure how to go about this.

Any ideas, cautions, suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Judy from CT
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

you can do a search here for duvet covers- many of us have made them- you can back your blocks with muslin- or any lightweight fabric- or you can use a very thin batting-then a muslin backing if you want to give your blocks some definition with quilting. welcome- and ask away- that's how we all learn.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you can do a search here for duvet covers- many of us have made them- you can back your blocks with muslin- or any lightweight fabric- or you can use a very thin batting-then a muslin backing if you want to give your blocks some definition with quilting. welcome- and ask away- that's how we all learn.
Thank you! That sounds perfect.