Round Robin Perfect 10's

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
To clarify, the original group was going to have 6 people and the center limit was to be from 12 1/2"- 18 1/2". Each round would be from 3 1/2" - 6 1/2", dividable by 3's.
Then as more people asked if they could join, we started making groups of 5 each, with the center size from
12 1/2" - 24 1/2"with each round being 3 1/2"- 9 1/2" dividable by 3's.
The size of each round is up to the person adding that round. The person adding the round looks at the top and adds what that person feels that the center needs.
So would it be socially acceptable if I asked participants in my group to keep the size of my top lap size? That is why I think I need to be in a 5 group size...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 AM

yes, Mom
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 AM

Cognito - my comment was directed at ssnare. I will let the hostesses answer your sizing question.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 AM

Marslaura your not alone. I think A LOT of us do that give give give but never make for our own use. I think thats why I loved doing the quilt for quilters swap also. You got to make for someone else which to me is fun and yet you got something just for you back also.

Ssnare dont tell the quilt police I promise to be good! honest (fingers behind back again doing that happy twisty dance)..
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 AM

Ssnare, I'm really confused now! Marslaura said her center was 23", so am I correct in assuming she either needs to cut it back to make it 21 1/2" or add a border to make it 24 1/2", so it is divisible by 3?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 AM

Cogito, to answer your question - if you are looking for something specific, whether it is size or colors to use/avoid, or anything else - make sure you let your group members know your requests/desires IN WRITING along with your top.

For me, I usually type up a short letter or note about what I'm planning to do with the quilt along with the colors that I would either prefer them to use or to avoid. For the one I'm in right now, for example, I asked everyone to stick with red and white and use either tone-on-tone, blender, or solid fabrics. If you want people to use a specific fabric, you might consider including some of it with the top in order to guarantee your group members are able to get their hands on some. I've been in several groups now where my teammates included about 1/2 yard for each person in the swap - if we needed more, she'd mail us more.

The group size doesn't necessarily dictate how large or small your quilt will be since there is a pretty big range of available sizes for the borders (3.5" - 6.5").

For people who are wanting very large quilts (King, Queen) the tops themselves may not return to you meeting these dimensions however you can always add additional borders to "finish" the top to your desired sizes.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
Ssnare, I'm really confused now! Marslaura said her center was 23", so am I correct in assuming she either needs to cut it back to make it 21 1/2" or add a border to make it 24 1/2", so it is divisible by 3?
Jan, she might not have noticed the "divisible by 3" comment in the first post. I will contact her about it.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 AM

Thanks MamaHauser! I got it now. That's what we did in the last RR I was in....over 15 years ago...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Ok... I talked with Marslaura and she was already preparing to add a border. Crisis averted! What a nice successful Thursday. Only a few more days until we're ready to huddle and break! into teams!
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM

always good to ask questions they say there are no dumb questions (I ask a ton not so sure about that lol) but rather ask a dumb one and get it right then guess and get it really wrong.

I am excited we are almost at MONDAY! then we can sit here and tap our fingers waiting waiting waiting lol til Kelly comes and threatens to break mine accidentally if I don't stop tapping...

Jaba ordered this border book while I was there.. I think I will have to visit her a lot for her company of course (she says she is on to me but maybe this one time I can pull the...)

Has anyone picked their center fabrics out even if they havent made their center? want to share with us???