Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does it smell in your sewing room? >

How does it smell in your sewing room?

How does it smell in your sewing room?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
First of all, sorry if it's a dumb question

Lately I realized, that my sewing room doesn't smell like it used to be. Everything is newly renovated. Everything is cleaned - the heater, furniture, floor, everything. It is not the fabric or other stuff, which could smell musty. Then I put on a Potpirie and now it smells softly like lavender. And I like it!

And now, it's just a matter of interest: how does it smell your sewing room?
I have never heard of a potpirie. What is it? Are they new? I usually open a window, but when I can't I will sometimes use a plug in air freshener. Not all the time, but especially when there has been heavy cooking in the house.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 AM

Mine smells like the spray starch that I use. It must be in my ironing board cover so that every time I iron, it releases the smell.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by hopflower View Post
I have never heard of a potpirie. What is it? Are they new?
Potpourri /ˌp pʊˈr/ is a mixture of dried, naturally fragrant plant material, used to provide a gentle natural scent inside buildings, most commonly in residential settings. It is usually placed in a decorative (often wooden) bowl, or tied in small sachet made from sheer fabric.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 AM

I use the downy stoppables over a candle bowl with a small candle under it to heat up the stoppables. I love the scent and the cost is low.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It smells like the pine forest I live in, with just a hint of daylilies wafting in the window. All natural, not from the grocery store.
Can I come live with you?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 AM

My sewing room is in the basement, no windows. Mainly it smells "clean", I don't know how else to describe it. I'm afraid to use candles, since I might forget to blow them out, and my DS, who is an insurance claims adjustor, has warned me about using plug-ins because of the possibility of fire. I did use a diffuser for a while, and loved the smell, but when that got used up, I didn't replace it.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Mine smells of brain cells burning as I try to come up with which project to start or which project to finish. Once that's decided there's the smell of steel as I'm cutting out blocks and cutting up strips. Then it's the steam iron and machine oil as I'm sewing and pressing.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

I just keep it cleaned on a weekly basis. If I have any material that smells musty, I throw it into the wash with ammonia or vinegar and laundry soap or Dawn. I stay away from any scents. I have 3 dogs but only one really likes to be in the room with me and that's near the door for a quick getaway. I have hardwood floors and use Murphy's oil soap on those. Most of my sewing equipment can be easily shuffled with exception of the sewing table but it's easy to get under. I also have a long nosed attachment for the vacuum to reach where I can't. I hate cleaning and will devote no more than 15 minutes to any room. My mops are industrial sized. No pussy footing around.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

During the winter lavendar, during the summer roses fresh from my rose bushes. Love it ..
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I try to keep it as odor neutral as possible. My sewing stuff is all in the basement.

Once in a while, I will spray some air freshener around.

I avoid using Febreze on the fabrics. If they smell 'iffy' - I will wash them instead. My laundry detergent is usually Shaklee - which is a low to no fragrance detergent.