Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotating cutting mats >

rotating cutting mats

rotating cutting mats

Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 AM

I have an Olfa 12" rotating mat and it's good if I'm working with very limited space or doing some light trimming, but I prefer my big Olfa 24" x 36" mat with a big non-skid ruler. I also bought "puzzle mats" from JoAnn's which are 12-1' square plastic mats that fit together to make the size you need, but I hate them. Probably more so because they are not self healing and I cut with a heavy hand.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 AM

What a great tool. I use mine every day.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:19 AM

I like mine especially for trimming and paper piecing. I leave mine out on a table by the machine so it is handy and my bigger mats for cutting at on the big dining room table permanently. When I want to use the table for eating I just cover them with a plastic table cloth and then my cloth one and voila no one knows it is there except me. I do not have a sewing room with a cutting table etc. but this works well for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 AM

I had a large lazy Susan. I put a board on it, taped it down and laid a small rotary mat on top. I use when I need to and it works just fine for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I love my rotating mat....
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM

I have a large fiskars and olfa that I use all the time and could not do without. I have one small one that came as a free gift with an order of some quilting books. I use that when I am cutting small things and I love that one also. I can't see myself using a sharp blade to cut without a mat underneath.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM

Love mine--beats moving the fabric or trying to rotary cut at a strange angle.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Save your money and watch for sales on Martelli. This is the greatest revolving board out there. First, its round so it doesn't snag on things as you turn it. The squares all take a lot of space. Second, buy the one with the layer that is used as an ironing pad. I use that alone all the time. Third, its great to keep on your big cutting board to hold all those little things that you have to sweep out of your way all the time to get to the board. There is none better than Martelli!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
Save your money and watch for sales on Martelli. This is the greatest revolving board out there. First, its round so it doesn't snag on things as you turn it. The squares all take a lot of space. Second, buy the one with the layer that is used as an ironing pad. I use that alone all the time. Third, its great to keep on your big cutting board to hold all those little things that you have to sweep out of your way all the time to get to the board. There is none better than Martelli!
Here's a link with a video to show the board I use ALL the time!! The price is staggering, so wait for a sale or go to a quilt show where they're vendors and buy the show price. You won't be sorry about this purchase. http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=MAT
Old 07-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Even at half price there is no way I'd pay that much. Martelli might be good quality but dang, they are so expensive. You can buy a lot of fabric, even at lqs prices, for that.