Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • question about chocolate >
  • question about chocolate

• question about chocolate

Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Default question about chocolate

now don't get jealous, but a while back I came into possession of a 50 pound box of unsweetened chocolate at a great price. I have it in the freezer, well, what is left of it, and been using it for different things.

The thing is, when I melt it and add sugar, like if I want to dip something in it, I can't get the sugar to dissolve, it stays grainy and gritty. What am I doing wrong? Should I use powdered sugar instead of granulated? How would corn syrup work?

Thanks in advance, I just put some in a croissant today and it was pretty good !
    Old 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM

I have read that you can add powdered sugar. Maybe you could add a tiny bit of water to the sugar and then boil it until it's a syrup and then add the melted chocolate. If what you have is baker's chocolate it doesn't have any milk fat, so it's not going to be like candy chocolate.
    Old 07-16-2013, 02:35 PM

http://whatscookingamerica.net/ChocolateMelting.htm

I checked this site as I, also, have problems at times. When you melt chocolate, it cannot get above a certain temperature or it will get grainy. Did not know that! They said something about water getting in the chocolate. Did you thaw the chocolate before you melted it? Maybe add the sugar slowly?
    Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM

If you're melting it in the microwave that may be your problem. I can't melt chocolate in the microwave, it will be grainy every time. I use a double boiler, it will melt really smooth but didn't try it with sugar. Maybe melt the chocolate and then add the sugar gradually while stirring until it gets smooth. A little cream might help. When I run upon problems like that I just keep experimenting until I get it right or through it out and forget about itl. LOL I hope you fine something that works for you. T hat's a lot of chocolate.
    Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM

It sounds like you are getting the chocolate to hot also be sure NOT to get any water in it If you are using it for dipping chocolate I dont add anything but sugar and I add it after the choc is almost all melted
    Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 AM

Thaw before working with.
    Make sure you use a candy thermometer so that you don't get it too hot...when I make fudge, I dissolve sugar in the butter and evaporated milk before adding chocolate.
    Read a few more chocolate recipes before you use any more of the chocolate....maybe that will help.
    Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 AM

I am taking it from the fridge, melting in the microwave (not overheating, it still looks almost solid when I take it out), I stir it and it seems creamy and smooth, add sugar and I can see and feel the individual sugar crystals. I am going to try powdered sugar next time.

No water in it, that will make it seize up.
    Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 AM

Chocolate for baking should not be frozen or refrigerated if it is going to be melted. If you must do it, bring it to room temperature before melting and heat it slowly. It still may become grainy.

Chocolate chips that are frozen or refrigerated and are melted will get a "sugar bloom" and turn grainy.

Freezing candies or chocolate chips that will not be melted may only get a "bloom" a grayish cast that is fine to eat.

PB from MN
    Old 07-17-2013, 06:23 PM

My GM always said that she couldn't make candy or fudge if it was humid, as the consistency was off.
    Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

I have had chocolate dip in a fondue. I believe the chocolate was melted with cream cheese.

Check recipes for chocolate fondue dip.