Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter inch seams >

Quarter inch seams

Quarter inch seams

Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

When you add an applique to a block, it can get slightly smaller. I would make the blocks 6", then trim down to 5 1/4 inches after finishing the applique. That should solve your problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:34 AM

For the ones you have done I would add a sashing to make them the size you need. It can be the same material as your background or something fun to bring out your applique. It would be a shame to waste all your hard work.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 PM

If your applique is simple, maybe you could size it down a bit.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I would make the block bigger do my applique than trim block down to correct size.
I agree - I would wait to trim the block until after the applique.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM

When I have scant seams (usually from one mistake or another) I use June Taylor Fray Block on the seams to make sure they hold. This should help with the blocks you've already completed.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mvalley View Post
Help. I am making a quilt with each block being cut to 5 and 1/4 inch blocks. Then they have a design that is appliqued on them. My problem is that when I cut the background squares and put on the applique pieces the finished block no longer measures the 5 and 1/4 inch. What can I do. I have to totally disguard some the blocks they are way off. However, some of the others are just slightly off. My question -- can I just make slightly smaller seam allowances? I could use a paper template as the background and sew the blocks together that way so that the finished block will measure correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is your problem--the fabric is shifting when you applique. Turn your applique over and I'll bet that the fabric does not lay flat under the applique. You didn't say whether you're doing hand or machine applique. With hand-don't pinch the fabric too firmly or let the fabric slip forward when stitching. For machine-use a tear-away stabilizer under the background block. Here's a hint for both types of applique. Use Roxanne's Baste It glue--just several tiny dots will do--to hold the patch in place until appliqued.
SandyQuilter
Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Are you using interfacing before you add the applique? The area where the applique is on top of the background is a double-layer of fabric. The edge along which you sew the applique down is a single layer (just the background fabric). So the needle pulls the fabric where there is an inconsistent thickness. An interfacing on the back would help you.