Microsoft Scam

Old 07-20-2013, 06:07 AM

I answer the phone and pretend to be very interested. Then I put the phone down and let them talk and talk on their dime. When the line goes dead, I hang it back up.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 AM

Another NEW SCAM ==If any one has ordered one of those Medical Alert devices.Pay close attention to any one calling about your order. I received a call and they used my entire name and the message was- We are having problems processing your order for your """JUST LIKE""" the fallen and can't get up medical alert device Could I re-state my banking info to speed up the process. Sounded way to fishy besides if I was ever to order such a device it would be the real thing not a JUST LIKE the real thing
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 AM

I got that call. A man told me my computer would not accept Microsoft updates. He wanted me to turn on my computer. I said no thank you.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Good save. Any time you receive that kind of call with a "private number" hang up, and report it to your phone co. They may be able to trace the call. Hopefully that would prevent some poor senior from getting scammed really badly. I will not give any numbers out over the phone, or on the computer that I am not absolutely sure of. Thank you for the post to remind us
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 AM
BCM

Unfortunately, I do not expect the phone company to do anything in my area. I am on the do not call list and I continue to get such calls and now I am even getting them on my cell. It is alarming because some of them sound so convincing. Scary.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:43 AM

When they start in, I tell them I am on a do not call list and they will be reported as I have instituted a trace on their call. They usually hang up very quickly and if they don't I just punch several keys on my keypad and hang up on them, so far they haven't called back. You can check with your phone company and there is a way to put a trace on the call right after you hang up, I can't remember if you dial 69 or 67 immediately. You can't get the information but it will go to the police. We had to do this when my Mom got some nasty calls. I went to the police department and talked with them, and they told me they knew who it was and would bring the people in. Turned out it was some kids and they had to appear before the judge. I was not able to go to the hearing as my Mom was on her death bed, but a trace can be done on them. I don't know if anything could be done on the scammer calls as a lot of times they originate from foreign sources, but if you have problems in the US from US calls, there is a way to handle it with the 69 or 67. Call your phone company and find out. There is usually a 6 or 7 dollar charge for doing this, but if it is repetitive from the same people, a good way to stop it.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 AM

I got a call like that a few months ago...man with a very thick accent..I didn't understand half of what he said, but did get enough to know it had something to do with my compute..I told him I didn't have a computer and he hung up! I think that's the key to getting rid of them..if you don't have a computer they have no reason to keep calling you!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM

We have even started getting these stupid calls on our cell phones! I thought they were not supposed to be able to do that!

We always say that as bad as our jobs are, (although we are retired now) that we could have a worse job! We could be reduced to taking a job as a phone scam artist! What a horrible way to spend your day, making those stupid phone calls!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Seems the best way to handle those calls are to say you don't have a computer. I will use that if I ever get that call.
Guess what !!! The no call list doesn't work because those people have found several ways around it. Like Rachel with credit card services. 'She' never calls from the same number.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:15 PM

LOL, me too!

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I don't even answer the phone if I don't know who it is ... and sometimes I don't answer it when I do know who it is.