Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming? >

Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Originally Posted by Gabbystabber View Post
Love your stars. If it were my quilt I would add another border of your washing fabric or in a similar Color as your sashing. At this stage of your quilt you can adjust width of border already on so it does not overpower your wonderful stars. And, best of all, you won't need your seam ripper. Just a suggestion. Daughter is who you must please.
Donna
Woops kindle keeps changing word sashing to washing sorry
Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 AM

The quilt is a real beauty....but I think the first person to comment was correct, the blue border is too bold, it really needs something a bit more in the tones of the over all quilt to let the beauty of the stars shine. Hope you can just get out your seam ripper and pull off the outside then redo it. Your first impression was really right!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 AM

I, too, think it overwhelms the beauty of those intricate stars. I'd probably take it off and replace it with a paler, less busy border.....but I also know how tired one can get of a project and just want it to be over!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:23 AM

There seems to be a lot of different shades of grey in your stars. How about Moda Marbles ( I LOVE the texture in Marbles...and it comes in a million colors) in a medium to darker shade of your sashing's and inner border. I, personally, like my final border to "frame" the quilt... Whatever you do will be beautiful....
Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Its a little busy for a border, I have only made 2 quilts so take this with a grain of salt.I prefer solids,but if you have a lot of scraps and you want to get rid of them you can be daring.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by weezie View Post
I finished this top today. It is called Blackford's Beauty and is destined for my eldest DD's queen sized bed. Because of the piping on either side of the narrow border, this quilt is spectacularly flawed. I am satisfied with the piecing (which took me over a year to do ... just a bit every evening), but I could not get the piping to cooperate ... need I say that I will not be putting piping on any more quilts?

As I auditioned fabrics from my stash, the one I chose for the border seemed to be perfect; now that it is attached, however, it seems to jump out and annoy me. Although I'm not changing anything about this quilt (except for quilting and binding, I am done!) but I am attaching a not-very-good picture and would like to know what you think, in particular about the border. Thank you!
My mother often cautioned me with these words: "If you keep fooling with that, you are going to ruin it." I think the quilt is lovely. The border is strong enough to hold all those gorgeou stars together. But if you are just not satisfied, take the stitches out very carfully. froggyintexas
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Your quilt is beautiful. And I agree, the border doesn't work. It's no so overwhelming; it's just too much "activity" for the eye to take in when it wants to focus on your beautiful colors and intricate pattern. A solid of less "busy" print in a muted color would do. Good luck and please let us see it if you change the border. Well done.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
There is the option of trimming that outer boarder down to a skinny width , and adding an additional lighter wider outer border. Try auditioning a lighter boarder by laying a piece down enough to show a very skinny slice of the outer boarder you have now.
I like this option also. If you still do not like the border I would try this & you won't have to rip out all that other stitching but obviously you would have to be super careful to get the left over original border even. It's not really all that bad but I think something not so over powering would be better.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM

I agree to much border. It is to busy.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

The blocks are beautiful and work well together. I like the lavender inner border. It kind of surprised me, but I think it also works well.

To my eyes and on my monitor - The blue border - even hanging over the side of the mattress - looks like it should be on a different quilt.

But the IMPORTANT THING IS - Does your DD like it the way it is?

If so - you are good to go.

If not - Even though it is a bother to change the border now - it is still comparatively easy to do so - rather than thinking coulda , shoulda for the next umpteen years.

I am waiting to hear what your DD thinks - - -