Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? >

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Does your sewing room always stay cluttered?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 AM

I have a large quilting room in my basement where six of us get together on Mondays to quilt. (Of course I spend a lot time down there other days). We agreed that if you use something, you put it away. We take turns vacuuming at the end of the day. We have organized disorder. Can you imagine what it would look like if six of us weren't somewhat organized! Oh My!!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 AM

Mine somehow keeps getting to be a mess too. Not sure how it happens. Things just seem to fly out of the closet etc and end up all over. I think I have a messy fairy in my room. Mine is 12 x 14 and just seems to ooze fabric. I have been making myself slowly clean it up. I have been making myself put away 20 things every time I go in my room and try to put away 20 more before I leave it too. It is getting better. Hopefully I can get my pegboard up for my rulers this week so I can use my ruler shelf for fabric. MY DH saw my stash the other day. I will have to make sure he doesn't know when I go to the fabric store. I am trying to work mostly from my stash lately to use it up. I too could sew until I am 110 and never use it up. I really need to quit wasting time sleeping so i can sew more.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 AM

Some parts are organized, but while I'm making the quilt, there is pieces of fabric and thread all over the place. ONce the top is done I clean up the floor and put most of the stuff away. I used to have a sign on my desk when I was employed. Garfield saying "MY DESK, MY MESS, MY BUSINESS." I think I live by those rules. My DD made a comment one time, "If you coming to see me, then come on in, If you're coming to see me, Then CALL and give me 4 hours notice."
I am not OCD about clean and organization, but when I start watch out I can't stop.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 AM

I am guilty of all of the above except being a compulsive cleaner upper! I work on several things at a time because I get distracted too easily and want to try this or that. I do straighten occasionally but within days it's right back to being 'creative.' I don't need more space; I need less stuff. I have hundreds of quilt magazines and I do refer to them sometimes. I have given boxes of quilt magazines to the Guild to sell at our Quilt Shows. I've cut down on the number that I subscribe to but I still have a lot of them. Love getting new quilt mag in the mail. I've been guilty of buying the same fabric more than once because I forgot I had it already. I'm a hopeless, messy but happy quilter! Sew on! I tell my husband that at least I'm not out running around with other men and hanging out in the bars! He always knows where to find me -- in my sewing room, LOL!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM

How I wish I had your problems. I sew along one wall of a 9 X 10 bedroom. I have an 8 ft. table where I cut and press and a small sewing table with a recess in it for my machine. My fabric is stored in tubs under the table and in the closet and I baste my large quilts on the floor of my living room which is never used for anything else. I always have a project in process on top of the table and I have other in smaller tubs in the closet. The people who clean my house once a month are told never to touch what's on top of the table. Some how or another I get it all done in the space provided. My fantasy is to turn our unused living room into a studio but my husband says "absolute not" as there is no way to close off the room if we have company. We do use the room once a year when I host the family Christmas party. Such a waste.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 AM

Since I sew in our family room, and cut on the wet bar area, out of necessity, I need to keep it contained somewhat. My fabric is contained (primarily) to a tall 4 drawer dresser and a decorative open cabinet above it the size of a medicine cabinet. When I pull fabric for a project, it gets pretty messy, and stays messy until I'm done cutting. Then I clean up that area, put away the extra fabric, and make a clean start with sewing the blocks. It's always a little cluttered until I'm finished with the quilt, but at least I'm not searching for my cutter under piles of scrap fabric.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 AM

My sewing room is also my guest bedroom. I solved the space problem by installing a wall bed with bookshelves and drawers on either side. I usually like to work on one project at a time so my space is messy when working but I try to clean it up at the end. I don't have much of a stash any longer as I discovered that I am not the type of person who gets inspiration from looking at all the fabric I have stashed; I merely get frazzled and can't make up my mind. So, I donated my stash to a local group that makes quilts for homeless children. Immediate sense of relief. Now I only keep scraps of batiks as I want to make a scrap quilt in batiks. I guess I'm only a part-time quilter compared to most of you, but this works for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:48 AM

I love this topic. I am usually messy when I am sewing but when I don't feel like sewing I always clean everything up and that somehow gets me going again. I find things I really wanted to sew or things I started and forgot about. Loved your comments of how you gals sew. i love paperprincess's words 'fabric storage facility' that's a good one I have not heard before!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 AM

Mine looks like someone tossed a hand grenade in. I clean it up. It lasts about 1/2 hour if I am working in there. Such is life.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 AM

I reorganize after every project. It helps with planning the next project (especially with locating fabric for the next project).