Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight up vs. Sideways >

Straight up vs. Sideways

Straight up vs. Sideways

Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
I folded my stash using the ruler method and have it all nicely put away in Ikea Cabinets...so nice. However, I've also seen where many people have used boards of some sort and wrapped the fabric in order to stand it on end like the bolts in the quilting store. Here's my question...does either method take the same amount of shelf space? It seems to me that piling vs standing on end would allow me to stash more fabric. Thoughts, anyone?
I thought stacking took less space until I tried it. My fabric was all stacked in drawers. When I wrapped my fabric on my ruler and stood it in the same drawers I got 1 1/2 drawers of fabric into 1 drawer. When I moved I was able to transfer my fabric to shelves and I found standing on end still took less space than stacking. The biggest benefit is how much neater it stays standing up than it did stacked.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Mine is folded around rulers -- it would cost way too much to buy the boards to wrap it. If my shelf allowed, I would store it standing up. However, I have it stacked (everywhere) .
I try to wrap all of mine around boards so I go to the Dollar Store & buy lg. sheets of foam core for $1 ea. I can then cut them into the sizes I need for where I'm going to put them. Very little expense then. If I end up with a sm. pc. of foam core approx. 3-4" I use them for smaller pcs. That way I don't waste anything.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I use to ruler fold, now I have my fabric on boards. Takes about the same amount of space. It is just easier to get the fabric in and out of the cupboard on boards, than trying to get it out of the stack. I think both are great methods.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I have my large fabrics folded by the ruler method on wire closet shelves. My smaller pieces are folded the same on another shelf. I have three shelves in one closet and two shelves in the other. That one has backing fabrics, large white/off white/ light colors. Bottom of closets have scrap bins/batting and such. I do have to unstack and restack to get to what I want to use. Much better than I had before I moved to another room.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM

I love the convenience and space-saving benefits of fabric wrapped around cardboard and stored vertically, but mine look really messy because after I've pulled out a fabric or two, the fabrics "tilt" into the emptied space and I frequently having to take time to reorganize the shelf. And then I have to reorganized the shelf where I just pulled fabric for the first shelf. It never ends! Anyone have a cure for this?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM

I think vertical would be easier to get one or two fabrics out at a time, but I have mine stacked horizontally. I made sure we built my new shelves very close together so my stacks of folded fabrics can't be more than about 8" high. That way even if the one I want is at the bottom (and it ALWAYS is, darn it!) I only have one small stack to pull out, remove the piece I want, then slide it back into the space. I'm seriously considering trying to design some sort of giant "tongs" that would allow me to smoothly slide just one piece in or out of the shelf without disturbing all the rest of the stacks.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Guess what my answer is lol
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Sounds like it really does come down to personal preference....I don't think I could face another marathon folding session, so mine will stay stacked. thanks all!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 PM

I got my board from Joann's the ones they use for the material and stand them up vertical by color and can see the shades better.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by bbeyes View Post
I got my board from Joann's the ones they use for the material and stand them up vertical by color and can see the shades better.
I also use the boards from Joann's. The boards that are folded to the center on one side. They cut into 4 boards for me to wind my fabric on and store. However, since I move often, I have found that even the small amount of space taken up by the cardboard takes away from my storage space. )