Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying a Different kind of Quilt as you Go. >

Trying a Different kind of Quilt as you Go.

Trying a Different kind of Quilt as you Go.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:56 PM

And the glue doesn't mess up your needle when you sew through it?

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Gannyrosie, hi from Baton Rouge. I love your suggestion. I have used the Elmer's washable school glue on about 6 quilts and have had great results. I will plan on trying your method on the next big one.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Not if it is dry first. And the needle goes right through it. I am very happy with this method. I don't use special tips or dilute and brush on. Just drizzle a thin bead of glue in a grid pattern a section at a time. It dries pretty fast.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Did you also cut the backing fabric in 4 sections like you did the batting? Or was the backing still one piece?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Hi, I have used the divided batting method and it works well. I found by lapping the batting I had a bump in the quilt so when I cut the batting I did so in a gentle curve, put a coloured thread on each side so that I could match up later and also be sure I had the right piece. Usually I cut three or more pieces depending on the size of the quilt. Match the centre of the backing, batting piece and the top and pin or glue in place leaving two or three inches from each curvy edge to allow you to join the next piece of batting after you have quilted the centre strip. Straighten out your backing, match up your next piece of batting, pull your top over and smooth the lot, secure as before and quilt away. Hope you can understand this as sometimes I feel as if I dribble on a bit.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Gannyrosie - you are a genius. I have a quilt that is way past the date it should have been finished and passed onto it's rightful owner (Not that she knows that - but significant birthday was nearly a year ago!!) It is huge and I knew I couldn't cope with keeping it whole but cutting the whole thing into sections just isn't an option. But cutting down the batting now that is brilliant - wish you'd posted months ago!! I shall be in my sewing room tomorrow all enthusiastic again and I can get that pile of top, batting and backing that I keep moving around made up into the pretty quilt it is supposed to be. Thank you Very much.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Oh faybe - thank you for that lovely description of how to cut the batting. I've just copy and pasted these wonderful posts onto my desktop and I shall print them out so I shall know exactly what to do when i get up to the sewing room tomorrow . You guys really are the best. thank you so much.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by fayby View Post
Hi, I have used the divided batting method and it works well. I found by lapping the batting I had a bump in the quilt so when I cut the batting I did so in a gentle curve, put a coloured thread on each side so that I could match up later and also be sure I had the right piece. Usually I cut three or more pieces depending on the size of the quilt. Match the centre of the backing, batting piece and the top and pin or glue in place leaving two or three inches from each curvy edge to allow you to join the next piece of batting after you have quilted the centre strip. Straighten out your backing, match up your next piece of batting, pull your top over and smooth the lot, secure as before and quilt away. Hope you can understand this as sometimes I feel as if I dribble on a bit.
I am confused about the center strip you mentioned. Do you begin your quilting on the first section of batting in the center of the quilt top? Thank you!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I am confused about the center strip you mentioned. Do you begin your quilting on the first section of batting in the center of the quilt top? Thank you!

yes, I start in the center, that way I you have less bulk on right and left side.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 AM

fayby, that's a great idea, but again to me it's more time wasted. I"ve attached some pics of my process and if you cut the two overlapped pieces at same time, they will match perfectly and I don't have to do all those extra steps. I'm all about time. Time I have very little of watching the grandsons all day.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:43 AM

I hope you can see in the pics of how I do it. my backing is pinned to rug so i don't have to worry about ripples. [ATTACH=CONFIG]426323[/ATTACH]

After the backing is pinned and taut I then all the glue, stand up above and hold glue and drizzle fast so to get fine lines. [ATTACH=CONFIG]426324[/ATTACH]

after backing and batting is together ( making sure the previous batting on middle layer and the new backing are over lapped I will cut the two layers together and it makes a perfect match. I know about the batting tape, but as long as I glue close to them it hasnt been an issue. [ATTACH=CONFIG]426325[/ATTACH]

I am really liking this method for me at least.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00015.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	426323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00016.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	426324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imported Photos 00019.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	1.44 MB