4-H Fair Memories

Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 AM

I looked to verify my memory, and I was right - I still have my first 4-H sewing project, from 45 years ago, a triangle hat with ties! The fabric was as I remembered, flowers and butterflies
with it, I have my first sewing ever, a Barbie vest, hand sewn, when I was about 7?8?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
My daughter wanted to do the ready made garments- she wanted to go buy a new wardrobe. I said NO- not enough $$$$.
Buymanship is the project where you put together an outfit and model it. You are judged on the fit of the garment, the total look, and your knowledge of it plus how well you show it off. That being said...this outfit does not have to be expensive. You could have someone else make it for you, you could make part of it, or you could purchase the entire outfit on sale. Last year our county's Grand Champion modeled an outfit she had put together with items she had purchased at store clearance sales, GoodWill, and garage sales. I don't remember the exact cost, but I know the entire outfit was under $20 (included accessories and shoes), but I think it was closer to $10. The killer watch she was wearing looked stunning - but it didn't work so she picked it up at a store for 50 cents to wear as an accessory. She then went on to receive a purple ribbon at our State Fair with this outfit. Her mother was very proud of her (the girl was 18 and getting ready for college so had to watch the dollars closely). It truly can be an affordable project with a little imagination.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:28 AM

I am heading to see my granddaughter at the 4H fair next week--this has been her 7th year--She has had work on display in art and photography,baked cakes, shown her 4 goats, horse and been in Donkey Club. She will be leaving for college in a couple weeks. I am so happy she has been able to have this experience in such a supportive environment. I grew up in Detroit and raised my children in an urban area in NJ--would have loved to have been able for my family to have had this experience

Last edited by hooverevelyne; 07-27-2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2013, 04:40 AM

I was a 4-H'er, too. Did sewing and had a black angus steer. My brother stayed in the steer barn all night with other boys.
Today's 4-h is so much different - a lot smaller and a lot less exhibits it seems. That's sad, too.
Dodee
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Just spent the last 2 days helping set up 4H exhibits for our fair. My family has been involved for years, best part of my youth was being in 4H. DH and i are both still involved even though our kids are grown. We both judge at the county level, DH has done state judging too. There are so many opportunities for kids in 4H, not only with projects but state camps, Washington focus, international opportunities as well as scholarships.
In some areas-usually suburban/urban- there is a lot of growth in after school clubs. There are so many life skills to be learned from 4H. While many people associate it with rural youth and raising animals, there are many. many projects available that do not involve livestock.