High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 PM

I have a front loading HE washer and if I ever get the chance to go back to the tub-full-of-water kind, I definitely will.

Pros: I can add more clothes after it starts. I just push "pause" and it will unlock.
It will use extra hot water, and if the water that comes from the hot water heater isn't hot enough, it will heat it.

It is efficient - as long as the loads are on the smaller side. Despite the fact that this washer is supposedly a high-capacity washer, I've discovered that it has it's limits. If I stuff it too full, clothes don't get clean.

I can't control the water level. And I don't think the clothes smell fresh. They don't stink, but they don't have that freshly-laundered smell like they used to.

The only time I have problems with a musty smell or mold inside is when my MIL comes to visit. She cannot stand leaving the washer door open when it's empty. I have to check it every night before I go to bed.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:54 PM

I was just forced to replace my old Maytag just last week. I hated to do it, because it was 40 years old and like an old friend! I can't remember ever having it serviced. Been through several dryers in that time though. Got a good deal on an LG HE front loading machine. I read a lot of reviews online before we went shopping. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the door locks, but a cycle can be "paused", the door will unlock and you can add to the load. You have to use the high efficiency detergent, but it requires very little per load. I wasn't sure if I'd like the front load, but it works great. Mine has 1200 RPM spin cycle so it really spins those clothes almost dry. My Maytag was so old that I couldn't fit a comforter in it, but the LG took it easily.

There is a learning curve - Read the user manual of course...our salesman had these hints: wipe down the inside and door after the last load of the day, leave the door open (there is a magnet on the door that keeps it just slightly ajar, but secure), since the detergent is enzyme based, it can leave a coating on the outside of the tub that can eventually lead to a mildew-y smell so you must use a "Tub Clean" cycle monthly (depending on how much laundry you do) with a packet of "Affresh" (or similar product) made especially for this purpose.

It does use a LOT LESS water than the old top loader, but it takes a little longer per load.

If there's ever a problem, you call the 800#, hold up your phone and press 2 buttons - it's sends a tone and they reset or diagnoses the problem. I hope I never have to use it though.

As an added bonus, it has the most cheerful little melody when it's finished. Almost makes you happy to being doing laundry...well, not really but I never did mind. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM

I love my Maytag 3000 series front loader. Clothes get really clean, water usage is way down. I haven't had any problems with a smell at all. Still using the old GE dryer and the clothes dry faster because the washer is so efficient.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM

I miss a top loader when I want to dye fabric.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM

I've had a Kenmore HE washer for about 6 years and love it. It uses less detergent, less water, less energy, etc. I think the clothes get cleaner. I can stop it and add things to it after it's running. Mine has never had a bad smell but I leave the door open a crack when it's not being used. I read somewhere that they are not as rough on the clothes (or quilts) as the ones that agitate.
I guess we all just have our opinions.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM

If you like to soak things, I'm told you can't with a front loader?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 PM

I also leave the door open, but instead of having to run the stuff through it periodically, I use white vinegar instead of fabric softener, cheaper too. I also use peroxide instead od Clorox II, if you look at the label, that's what in it. Again, cheaper too. Bottom line - more money for fabric
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
If you like to soak things, I'm told you can't with a front loader?
I think that varies from machine to machine. I probably could soak a load by simply hitting the pause button, but I just use the sink. I also have several cycles to choose from - prewash, stain treat, etc. and I can adjust the amount of time the cycles run. The longest cycle says 2 hours, but it actually runs longer.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 AM

I just bought a new Maytag washer and dryer..

had the repair man here within a week....It made noises and seemed to be taking so long to get the wash started..

He came and checked everything out and told me that the new HE (high efficiency) machines do make more noises and it takes a bit longer for the computers to sense the size of the wash to get the washing cycle going....
and also told me to definitely use much less soap!!!!!!

Been using it now for the last month and all is working just fine and clothes get quite clean and I am saving a bundle of detergent......
it just takes an old dog a longer time to gets used to these new fangled machines !!!!!!!!!!!!

MaryJane
Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 AM

We have had our Maytag HE washer since June of 2001 without any problems. It has a presoaking cycle, too.