Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired >

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Let's go inside and get depressed and inspired

Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM

I have never seen any of SS quilts in person, only one her videos, and she is definitely a great quilter, but then so are each of us in our own way. We should not sell ourselves short.
I believe that God gave everyone a talent, be it in sewing, quilting, drawing, painting, music, speaking or whatever, we all have some talent, perhaps if just being a friend, a caregiver, a great cook, a loving mother, great at the work we do if we work in the public, a great housekeeper, and that is a real talent in itself. We just may not realize what our talent really is, but most likely others realize. Perhaps God only knows what talent He gave us and helps us use it.
I found out over the weekend something that really made me proud of what I have accomplished over the years before retirement. I am a retired teacher, and was informed by one of my many many students how I affected her life. When she was in my 1st grade class many years ago, that because of my insistence on discipline in class and due to her behavior, I called her parents in to sit with her for a day, that itself changed her life in school. She moved away so I was not able to follow her through her school years, but she told me that she became the Valdictorian of her graduating class and loved school. She informed me that I had made the difference in her life. Needless to say I was elated with her remarks, so perhaps my talent was the ability to reach one child or many during my teaching years, I have had many who pased through my classes tell me they appreciated all that they learned and my discipline they received in my class, and how it help them in future years.
I know I love quilting and enjoy seeing the finished product. I always strive to make each quilt to the best of my ability, as I know everyone else does. The more we make the better we get. I think eveyone would love to be able to produce quilts like Sharon's, or Jenny Beyers and so many others, but then my simple quilts may just have the talent of keeping someone warm, or a snuggle quilt when one is feeling low, who knows. I just love making them, for whoever, and haven't had one thrown back yet, or refused, so I will keep stitching along.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:58 AM

Love, love this thread! How many times have I been so critical of my own work and yet when I pull the quilt off the frame, it looks good! We are too critical of ourselves, but perhaps that is a motivator in its own way. My philosophy is that each quilt is a rehearsal for the next one! I still have the first quilt I made...and it reminds me I have come a long way......
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 AM

Good morning - you have written a most beautiful message- to ALL of us--whether we quilt or not! We have to go on doing the best we can with the skills we have. Thank you for taking the time to encourage us in our God=given talents!!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:04 AM

Sharon Schamber is not only amazingly talented, but a down to earth sincere person. I have gotten to spend some time with her through my job, and she is just a beautiful person. She has lots of videos on You Tube. Get lots of tips!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 AM

This is my take on quilts. Quilts are like paintings created by artists. I can see the same pic as an artist, have the same tools and my pic will look like a kindergarder made it while the artists' renditioin is a masterpiece. Same with quiilting. I can piece...usually...but the quilting...really good at SID!! So I admire the "Masters" and just come home and play with my fab. I'm thrilled that whoever gets a simple quilt of mine is truely pleased/surprised. That's what keeps me going. Always will be amazed by the Masters.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM

I love seeing what other people are doing, and do not find it depressing at all. Instead, I think, "WOW! Their ideas are unique and mine are just about as good." My skill level isn't any too good, but I'm quilting for fun not perfection. froggyintexas
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM

An artists eye and the ability to take pieces of fabric and turn them into beautifully designed quilts is a talent I was not born with. But I do so enjoy admiring the work of those special people that do. Just the same, I really enjoy piecing and hand quilting using patterns designed by someone else. Because I can choose my own fabrics, and I feel like they usually come together well, I feel like I have a wee bit of 'artist' in me. Though I could never achieve the level of the award winners, my quilt gifts have always been admired, so I feel good about that. My quilts make me happy.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Keep quilting for enjoyment, not perfection. I think perfection breeds depression! When I see something beyond my talents, I admire it and if that perfection desire tries to creep in, I tell myself that I am quilting for me, my release, and someday, slowly but surely, I will get better at what I do. I may not get as good as whoever, but I am going to enjoy the journey!
Bravo! What a great attitude! We give so much to families, jobs, communities that we need refreshment & renewal! Self criticism should be constructive, & not destructive. Or, what's the point?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Did you say hershey....chocolate.....quilts....???? I hope the busload of quilters, licked the chocolate off the fingertips, before they touched all the lovely quilts!
That is what i do, and that is what is proper....then no need for gloves!!!!!!!

The chocolate lady, dreamin' of boarding a bus for hershey pa one day
Originally Posted by tashana View Post
yesterday, a bus load of quilters from long island went to the hershey quilt show. Great show, even better quilts. There was something for everyone, from art quilts, modern quilts, traditional, vintage, paper pieced and everything between. I was blown away by talent and creativity. And then, as a sweet cherry on top there was sharon schamber quilt exhibit - amazing, inspiring and depressing at the same time. She is an absolute master of the art and craft of quilting with an unbelievable eye for detail. Her quilts always inspire me to break the mold and try to be better than i am. Depressed, well i exaggerated that part a bit, i did not get depressed simply aware that it will be decades, and may be even never, until i can look at one of my quilts with the same awe as i look at hers. Great show!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 AM

I like going to quilt shows. I divide the quilts into 4 categories. There's the let's see how they do that quilts, the it must have taken years to do quilts, the one day I'll be able to do that quilts and the I think I can do that quilts. Each in the categories are amazing. It's the I can do that and the one day which I stay with the longest.

The way I look at it is I can't cook like Chef Dan Waggoner (Charleston Grill), nor take pictures like Mr. Caston (Caston's Studio in Richmond), but I can cook and I do take pictures. They are masters. They give me something to strive too.