Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another appliqué question >

Another appliqué question

Another appliqué question

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Blanket stitch, zig-zag or satin stitch finishes the edge of the applique.
I guess I would disagree with this. A tight satin stitch will finish the edge, but a blanket stitch or a loose zig zag on an unturned applique will still leave threads showing, and to me, that is raw edge still unless the ends are turned under.

But thank you for explaining how it is viewed by others.

(I also appreciate the notion of sewing inside the applique shape, purposefully leaving the edges to fray. That makes sense too.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scraplady View Post
Sometimes "raw edge applique" refers to a technique where you would stitch maybe 1/8" to 1/4" in from the edge of the applique to secure it, then leave the actual cut edge to fray with use and washing, kind of like the edges of the blocks on a rag quilt. Is that what you mean? If it's a wall hanging, it wouldn't see much washing, but you can always fray the edges of the letters with a soft toothbrush after they're sewn down, if that's the look you're after.

Well I learned something we today, thought raw edge meant sewing the appliqué like scrap lady explained. I usually do hand turned but I wanted something quick. Thank you everyone for answering my post. Have a lovely evening!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
I guess I would disagree with this. A tight satin stitch will finish the edge, but a blanket stitch or a loose zig zag on an unturned applique will still leave threads showing, and to me, that is raw edge still unless the ends are turned under.

But thank you for explaining how it is viewed by others.

(I also appreciate the notion of sewing inside the applique shape, purposefully leaving the edges to fray. That makes sense too.
When I do blanket stitch the edge stitch is right on the edge of the applique. My machine does a stitch forward and one backward and then forward again so it has three threads right on the edge of the applique.

I have seen and heard fusible applique done with satin stitch or blanket stitch just called fusible applique.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 AM

I was always under the impression that raw edge meant that it would fray, giving it a feathered look. If that is what you want then go for it, the quilt police are on sabbatical. If it were me I would the blanket stitch on the lettering also or the invisible thread. I don't like the frayed look, but that what makes the world interesting. If we all liked the same things how boring.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 AM

Just saw another post, satin stitch around the lettering would really set it off.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I think it's absolutely fine, using either matching thread to the fabric or invisible thread. It's your quilt - your rules.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM

In answer to Knitette, blanket stitch, zig-zag or satin stitch are methods to finish the edge to prevent raveling. Raw edge means you have done nothing to keep the edges from raveling and they will ravel every time the quilt is washed or if it is "brushed" to make the edges ravel.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Hi, I started patchwork and quilting before names were given, we just did whatever worked for us. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that I was doing needle turn applique, I had been adding a flower and poking the edges under.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Raw edge applique is created by NOT USING FUSIBLE WEB to apply your applique to the foundation, OR cutting the fusible web smaller all around so that the edge of the fabric can "fray" and leave a fuzzy raggedy look around the edge. You would stitch approx. 1/4 inch in from the edge so that the edge of the fabric IS NOT attached to the foundation. Is that clearer? It makes for a creative way to applique and create texture, especially around flower edges. It's sort of a 3D look.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
I was always under the impression that raw edge meant that it would fray, giving it a feathered look. If that is what you want then go for it, the quilt police are on sabbatical. If it were me I would the blanket stitch on the lettering also or the invisible thread. I don't like the frayed look, but that what makes the world interesting. If we all liked the same things how boring.
I have never had raw edge (straight stitch right next to the edge) fray. Most of the really intricate applique patterns are done with that technique and I've never seen any of it fray. (think McKenna Ryan)