Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you buy this? Please reply. >

Would you buy this? Please reply.

Would you buy this? Please reply.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I love his tail!!!! you should go price other people selling similar things first. I was thinking no less than $25.00, perhaps $35.00. I bought a lovely purple doll for about that and didn't consider it too much.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I think it's adorable and would buy it if my grandaughter was with me and wanted one. IF it was washable, the eye were sewn on and the nose centered, (in the pic one side of the nose has a pink gap) For craft selling all the details have to be almost perfect. Check with small independent shops and ask if you can set up a display and sell on commission. I see a lot of craft items for sale at nail salons, beauty shops, tanning, etc.
this one was made for a friend's toddler, not for sale. It was also the 1st one I made, so the next one's details would be more thought out.

these eyes aren't sewn on like buttons, as those pose a choking hazard. These are safety doll eyes that are stabilized on the inside of the face.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 AM

I think it is super cute (especially the tail) but I wouldn't buy a plushie that large. They take up too much room and, unless very well made, their heads tend to be too heavy for their necks over time, particularly after washing.

I do love it though. I hope you find a way to make some money from your skill.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM

I think he's absolutely adorable! The eyes and tail got my attention right away (although I have to admit, I did wonder if the eyes were a safety hazard). If you're comfortable with them, I'd be sure and note that they're attached in a safety-conscious way.

I also had the thought that a colorful collar of some kind around his neck would be cute, and might set him apart from other stuffed creations. I guess this would have to be sewn so it couldn't come off and be a hazard.

Here's my only advice on pricing. If you set the price too low, it cheapens the item. I'd tend to go a bit higher than you think you should and see what happens. You can always enact a sale price if they don't sell at that price.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Really cute!
Your pricing is going to be very much dependent on location and type of venue. What would sell like hot cakes at $40 - $50 in one spot might not sell at all no matter the price in another and be considered overpriced at $30 in a third.
So check out possible venues and how well other items are moving and at what price. Sometimes you can only actually sell it if you are there in person to talk to potential customers. Other times people will see it and fall in love with it whether anyone is there or not.
You might check out hospital gift shops as a potential venue. I don't know how they get their vendors, but I know at one time my friend was wholesaling her candles to several in the greater Austin/San Antonio area.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 AM

2 things to consider as well. What is your cost in materials. What is you time worth.
(You will never make a living selling what you make alone, because you can't make enough, fast enough.) Another consideration is what part of the country are you selling in (I see you live in California.) Are you targeting everyone or a specific age group. If it's washable and over 18 inches (not including the tail) I'd put it at $45.
But remember to have fun!!!!
MaryKatherine
Old 08-02-2013, 03:40 AM

You must go to www.etsy.com and check under softies. You will have many to compare on all aspects. YOURS is GREAT!! go for it! Also think of a tag with a character name & story. Give each one a personality.

Hi! This is 'Grape Nut".He lives in my back yard & is always eating my grapes, just as I am ready to pick them for jelly!
He trys to say it was Freddy Fox, but as you can see his hands & feet are stained with grape juice!! Evidence!!
He can be your for $28.00, but please be very careful if you grow grapes!!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 AM
vjc

I would buy it! Make them up in all colors. Is there a pattern or is this yours?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomOf3 View Post
As far as the safety eyes are concerned, I could choose to embroider eyes on instead. And as of yet, people seem MUCH more interested in buying stuffed animals or plushies than quilts or table runners.

I've been trying to sell quilts for approx 4 years and have only sold 3 baby quilts and one full-size quilt. I've been sewing stuffed creations for approx 2 years, and have had dozens of people want to buy them, but I didn't have a price.
This is one cute critter! I would embroider the eyes for safety and go for it. There are several good suggestions here for where to market your animals. Pricing? I really don't know as this is not something I would be shopping for. However, if you try to place them in some specialty shops you might try asking the shop owners for an opinion.

One other thought - you said you hadn't been successful with selling baby quilts, etc. I wouldn't suggest it as a "package" deal, but what if you had that toy on display at whatever price you decide and ALSO had a toddler-size quilt, priced separately, that kind of matched it.

Let us know how and what you do.

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 08-02-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Had another thought!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

The attached eyes do come off. All it takes is one determined toddler. LOL. I wouldn't take the chance when selling them unless you had a label warning attached.