Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction! >

Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

Gifting and getting rid of old quilts! UNUSUAL and warm reaction!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
Ok as I'm appreciating reading about your sister and wishing there were more like here around, I got thinking. Why not make here a quilt for her bedroom- one without all the mistakes. Just Kidding. You would have two that are loved if you did.
I, also think you should surprise her with a dynamite quilt that YOU think is awesome. Something YOU are totally proud of. Tell her you wanted her to see what you really can do! She'll love them both!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Great story! My sister and I put together a baby size quilt from some pinwheel blocks my Mom made in her decline (akltzheimers). The blocks were recognizable as pinwheels, but very uneven. But, we said, a baby won't care, so what the heck. She put the blocks together, put a border on it and sent it to me to quilt. It was so uneven that it was a real job to quilt!

My son, the 42 year old father of the baby, cried when he opened the package with that quilt. He said it gave his son a link to his Grammy. He claimed he saw his Grammy working on it, but I'm not sure about that part.

I thought he'd like it; so did my sister. But we had no idea how much the quilt meant to him until he broke into tears! My guess is your sister and BIL feel the same thing about your quilt that my son felt about his sons quilt!

Love makes even those quilts that we think are our worst quilts beautiful to the recipient!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM

I can only imagine your pain over this! While I know this is easy to say, but so very hard to do - consider it their loss!

They're cowards and, unfortunately, were never really your friends. But guess what? That type of person really has no friends - they always have to find a new target for their mean streaks. Wonder who their next target is?

I'm glad you had the courage to tell them the truth and that you also have the courage to return to the camp to face them down. Clearly they don't have the guts to face you or apologize for their meanness. Guess they're stuck in 7th grade mode.

As for what to do - you don't have to do anything as you did not offend them. Carry on with your life, find real friends and leave them behind. That's where they belong.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 PM

What a wonderful story. This just proves that every quilt is made with love and your sister knew it. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:22 AM

I am glad that I finally read your post. What a wonderful tribute to that quilt, your talent and the love of your family. I would love to see that quilt!
Sandy
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 AM

Now that's a family that appreciates a hand made quilt!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by terridez View Post
NICE! here's my story. I camp every year and have met quite a few couples that stay all summer too. A few years ago I started giving them all quilts. about 5 each summer. This past winter I heard thru my sister (someone messaged her on facebook) that no one likes me and that I only gave them quilts to try to buy their friendship. I hold one lady responsible for turning them all against me as she doesn't like me and she was my sister's best friend. I was so hurt that I wrote to all of them and said I thought they were my friends already and I didn't think I needed to buy them. I'm so hurt that I haven't given out anymore and probably won't even though I had about 4 more to give. Now they won't even look my way when I pass or talk to me because of the letter. I'm really hurt by all of this but don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
This is just not right! No wonder you feel hurt. But I imagine none of the 'friends' turned down those quilts you offered them. What a shame. I surmise that none of them know the time and effort put in to make a quilt. If it were me, I don't think I would be offering any more unless someone admired one and then I would offer it to them. I think you are so very generous. Wish there were more folks like you.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 AM

what a lovely story!! You have a great sister
Old 08-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! What a great story....thanks for sharing.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM

What a lovely story. Made me smile. Thank you for sharing it.