Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they? >

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Judy Niemeyer patterns...How hard are they?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I have never done any of her patterns. But, there is a class offered over at Craftsy on paper piecing. It's called "Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing" and is taught by Carol Doak. I'm not real good at paper piecing. You need to be able to think backwards and my brain has trouble with that!

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilting
Check them out. I have signed up for several of the other classes and have not been disappointed. Maybe someone here has taken this one.

I don't think I have paid full price for a class yet. I wait for their sales. You just missed a good one over Mother's Day weekend. Sign up for their newsletters. You can also watch their intro videos - that will let you know if your computer can handle the videos. Some have better luck watching them through Chrome rather than IE or Mozilla.

They also have a few freebies. Look under the sewing as well as the quilting ones for the freebies.
I have Carol Doak' s class and Peggy Martin's Quick Strip Paper Piecing- I learned to paper piece from Peggy' s class then got Carol' s DVD after seeing her on the Quilt Show and then her class when it was on sale. Love them both!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 AM

I have done several of JN's patterns, and love them. I really like the organizational aspect, and using templates to cut the fabric. I photocopied the templates on to colored cardstock which make them easy to handle, easy to see. Also, every pattern of hers I have made, I have used batik fabrics. I LOVE not having to worry about right side, wrong side of fabric. Be sure to check her website as she lists any corrections for each pattern.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM

After reading all the posts and hints I am game to try one of Judy's pattern, that is if I can save up the $60 for the pattern.................Hopefully it will be a gift from Santa and I can't wait to give it a go!!
Jane
Old 11-27-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lowjane View Post
After reading all the posts and hints I am game to try one of Judy's pattern, that is if I can save up the $60 for the pattern.................Hopefully it will be a gift from Santa and I can't wait to give it a go!!
Jane
The patterns are expensive because they include all the papers. Use a 1.5 stitch length and the paper will tear away easily. Also I personally would not do a JN quilt in anything except Batik fabric. I also suggest you take a class or do the same quilt with a friend. 2 heads are always better than one.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 PM

I have 3 patterns so far and i'm looking at ordering 3 more tomorrow.... that a bad sign?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 AM

First off Carol Doaks and Judy Niemeyer have completely DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES. If you are used to doing Carols technique then it will be a challenge to switch to Judy's technique. IMHO. Not that it can't be done. The secret to doing Judy's quilts is to BE ORGANIZED. In all of Judy's patterns she explains things step by step and there are also lots of videos to explain what you are having trouble with in the organizing. Someone said 2 heads are better than one and I agree it is easier to do one of Judy's quilts with someone else, but I think people are intiminated at first, but really THEY ARE NOT DIFFICULT. I do not work for Judy or any company, but really do like the results from Judy's patterns. I have done the Prarie Star and soon I will be starting the Cattails in the Meadows. I have the pattern cut now I just need to get my fabric. If you are having trouble with a quilt....do look on line for Judy's videos and usually you can find your answer. If not you can always come here and ask questions. Lots of people on the board have done these quilts and are willing to help.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:25 AM

You do a lot of prep work with her method, and I personally think you use a lot of fabric.
The steps seem over whelming when you look at them, but that is because she is really detailed.

Break it down and do one step at a time and you will be amazed what you can do.

Also the people on this board are really good about help if you get stuck.

You can do it!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Before starting any of Judy's quilts check out her utube videos.....They really are great. Here she explains how to do the steps starting with the cutting of the papers.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:10 PM

My first paper pieced project was a Judy Niemeyer pattern with curves and I am far FAR from experienced! Look on her website for any corrections, read through the directions, start slowly and don't get ahead of yourself. She also has some tutorials...go for it!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:57 PM

About a year and a half ago, I bought a Judy Neimeyer Double Wedding Ring pattern and templates. When I got home and read the directions, my eyes glazed over and my brain shut down. This pattern (as well as many others) was eventually discontinued and then re-released with new directions. Fortunately, me LQS owner gave my lots of support and coaching as I worked on and completed this quilt.

The same LQS brought in a certified Judy Neimeyer instructor to give a 3 part Feathered Star class. This pattern was one of the more recently released patterns, and I must say the difference in the directions was night and day!! I could actually understand them! One caveat - we did have to check Judy's website to get some corrections printed out, so whatever pattern you choose, check the website.