Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Space >

Sewing Space

Sewing Space

Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM

I gave myself a gift in 2006 and had a cute little quilting studio/room built. It's 16x16 and most of the time it's messy but it is in my yard and I love it. We live on a small farm and have lots of outdoor buildings but mine is very special. Love it. Get you a little building just for you. I call it my "lady cave".
Old 08-04-2013, 06:27 PM

I bought a 32X12 portable barn, insulated it and finished it my son put 220 air in window lots of electric outlets and good lighting It holds lots of stuff I have two sewing machines in there and two 10 year old grandkids have sorted scraps and made quilt blocks. It cost 10,000. with my son doing the work. With good insulation it cools down so quick and I think it will heat up easy also. We have four seasons here.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 AM

UNtil about a month ago, I had a small sewing room. Now, I have to sew in my bedroom, like you. Maybe instead of the expense of a shed, you could use that $ for a type of sewing table with storage above. Something that would hold your computer also. I am in the process of thinking about different sewing furniture that makes the most of my limited space. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I sewed for years at the kitchen table. I could sit things to the side of the room for family meals and if company was coming I put the project and machine in my room. worked great. I am in the process of painting and switching bedrooms around to make the small room my sewing room. it will be tighter but all contained in one space.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Well, I had the perfect room at one time. It was a 14 by 20 that had a bed in it for guests but the rest was all mine. Our youngest son needed a place to stay for a while and little by little he moved me to a small end of the room but, he did close in my front porch for me. However, he finally got a great job and moved over 50 miles away. Needless to say that the room had inside walls but no ceiling just the porch roof, no windows. My stuff was all packed in boxes but I could get to my machine and I would go out there and sew. Just as I was getting comfortable with waiting to get it finished, one of our daughters and her family had to move in because of the economy.
The room is painted and a neighbor is helping with windows but, with 5 extra people in the house there is no good option for my own space. Someday---------
Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I have a barn under construction at this time. It is next to my house. I will have the first 20x30 feet for a sewing room, storage and bathroom. I have been sewing in my office and have run out of space. The electrician is wiring it now and the drywall man will be in next. I can't tell you what it will be like but I sure have big dreams.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 AM

This is the sewing table that I (and quite a few others on this Board) have:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Sew...ndingMethod=rr

It's a bit larger than the Sauder Craft Armoire mentioned above, but it has a ton of storage and it's really an extremely nice piece of furniture. Took me a couple of hours put together but it's very sturdy. If your bedroom is on the larger side this might be a good option for you.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM

How about your bedroom? how big is your bed? Go to a twin size? or how about a bed that can fold up to the wall or up into a chest? Tables can be attached to the wall and folded down when not in use or you could get a couch with a bed in it? I use the plastic shelving (4 shelf kind) to stack fabric on, even a wall shelf can hold fabric, I have lived in smaller places and it was in all the rooms or keep those 26 gal. totes-clear ones so you can see what you got they stack nice too!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

My sewing "studio" is a table which measures 40 x 24 behind the sofa in the living room. The space is hidden by the back of the sofa, my DH can be watching TV or reading while I sew, and when quilting, the back of the sofa supports the quilt weight. I can see the tv over the top of the sofa! Have a stack of plastic boxes under one side of the table to house tools and threads, and a 36" long bookcase with cubbies behind to house other supplies and books--corner windows provide wonderful light and air. My Viking Sapphire is on a placemat, which can be slide out of the way when using my serger, also on a placemat. When doing big projects, the not-in-use machine is removed to the floor at the end of the table. Cutting is done on a mat placed on the dining room table, mat is stored behind the corner cabinet. These areas are about 8' apart. I also use a rotating cutting mat which is 12" square next to my machine when it is more convenient.
We have a spare bedroom which could easily be used as a sewing room, and that is where the stash is stored! Would rather be downstairs with DH than upstairs by myself.
Putting away things is not a problem for us...think we tend to finish things up rather than leave them partially done when we need to put them away all the time.
Have fun quilting - find the best solution for you to living in a smaller space -- the cabinet link earlier in this thread is a wonderful idea. Sometimes we let space limit what we do -- I'll never be able to get a longarm in here! -- but still can enjoy sewing and quilting with plenty of room to do both.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM

I am in a corner of the living room/ dinning room. We have a conference table in the middle of both rooms. I cut on this table. My fabric is scattered. I have my fabrics in storage which I cant get to. Also fabrics in a bedroom in one of the dresser drawers. Next to my sewing machine I have fabric etc in a three drawer plastic rolling bin. It's messy this way but I don't care anymore. I will not give up my quilting.