Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes? >

Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes?

Anyone Have Experience with Modular Homes?

Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM

12 years ago we purchased a modular home in Wisconsin. Lived in it for 10 years and loved it. This home was custom made and had many, many upgrades. The problem came 10 years later when we decided to sell and relocate to another state. The banks were not willing to loan on modulars 10 years and older, so financing was difficult for the buyers. They needed to come up with a larger down payment. We eventually did sell it and the new owners seem very happy with it also. But they had to put double the down payment over a standard stick built home. When we relocated, we did look at some modulars, but again it was the same story on financing. Thus we purchased a stick built home.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 AM

My niece and her husband are living in their 2nd modular home in the mountains west of Golden, Colorado. I was able to visit them in their 1st home and it was breathtakingly beautiful. They love their new home.

My only concern for you is the integrity of the builder. Be absolutely sure that because of the situation, you and other home owners are not being taken advantage of. Check references and find out everything you can about the company. If others who are in your same situation have one of these homes, see if you can't speak to them and have a "walk thru". Unfortunately, there is always someone out there wanting to make a "killing" on unsuspecting victims of tragedies. Good luck. Yolanda Wood River
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 AM

We had 1 built and lived in it for 17 years in NC. Loved it! Had to move, though, because old age and lots of snow was problematic for us. Well built, tight, and economical to heat. No A/C. Would do it again on flat land if all on 1 story.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I have good friends that live in a modular. It is one of the best built homes I have been in in a long time. It was all drywalled inside. It has a massive amount of storage. A lot of home for the money.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM

I'm a realtor. I took a 4 hour class to learn the difference between modular and manufactured. A modular home is built to the same building codes as stick built. In my area, it is BOCA code. In other areas, it can be a different code. Manufactured homes (used to be called trailers prior to 1978) are built to HUD codes (less stringent). Modulars are built in a factory, so that there are no weather issues (warped floors due to rain). They can be customized to suite you. One story, two story, Cape Cod are all options. There is a subdivision in my area that is all modulars. One of the advantages is how quickly they can be installed and ready for occupancy (30-60 days for modulars and 4-6 months for a stick built). I don't see a downside for you. They are the same as stick built.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 AM

I have lived in a modular home since the early eighties. Mine is not as big as yours and the only major issue I have is storage (lack of).
Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM

We bought one about 3 years ago and love it. Excellent insulation and solid construction. Also have fire-resistant siding because of our area. The only problems are that the VA no longer finances modulars and the only insurers we could find are Foremost and Grange. Haven't tried selling yet, so no help there.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:52 AM

We have lived in a modular home for 32 years. The only problem we have come across are the windows weren't
very good and we had to eventually replace all the windows. We live in Missouri and in the winter the aluminum windows would frost up. They may have better windows in the newer ones than they had in 1981. (?)
Be sure to check and see if the insurance companies in your area will cover modular homes.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 AM

What I'm seeing in your responses is that people really don't know the difference between modular and manufactured. You would be surprised at how few realtors even know the difference. Both are brought in halves to be placed on a foundation. Manufactured have a metal I beam support structure, modular have a wood substructure. On a manufactured, there is a label (usually metal, sometimes paper) that identifies that is a HUD code home. It can be found on the tongue, on the front, inside a cabinet, or near the mechanicals. It has a title like a car, modulars do not.
They both come in different qualities, depending on what you want to pay. Manufactured are generally less expensive, while modulars can cost similarly to a stick built home.
As a modular is no different than a stick built home, there will be no problems w/financing or w/insurance. Financing for a manufactured is iffy, at best.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM

We have lived in a Modular home for over 30 years. We ordered it special, made a couple of changes to the floor plan, upgrated the insulation, paneling and carpet. We love the house and have had no issues other than general maintenance.