Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking >

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 PM

I would go with the Bernina hands down. I may be a bit biased though, I have 4!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM

I have a Bernina -- I've had it for 20 years. Needless to say it's not "electronic", but it still sews as well now as it did 20 years ago. Never needed repairs. If I'm going to spend a lot of money for a machine, it WILL be a Bernina.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Can't speak for the Bernina. Have had a Viking 870 for about 4 years. Lots of features are nice, no presser foot lever etc. But it is fussy and I gave up FMQ on it, lots of frustrations with that and several trip to the shop about little issues, - thread cutter fell apart just after the warrentee ended. Got a Brother 1500 for FMQ, has made my life a lot easier. Basically, as long as I don't use it for FMQ and don't mind the thread coming off the uptake lever once in awhile (did have the upgrade on that, but it still happens occasionally), the Viking is a pretty good machine.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1 View Post
I have a Viking Quilt Designer II; I do like it, however, it has been discontinued and I can't get the stitch cards for it anymore. It is less than 10 years old. The stitch cards are computerized cards you slide into the machine and each card has some 20 different stitches on it. Once the basic sewing stitch card dies, I won't really be able to use the machine anymore. I don't know how often either Viking or Bernina discontinues machines, but it might be something to consider when making your selection.
I bought the cheaper version of the Qlt Designer in the early 90s. I like the machine but don't like the idea they don't make those cards anymore either. Just waiting for something to happen to the cards I have and the machine will be useless! About 4 or so years ago decided to get the Bernia 440QE cause the machine is fully metal. Love that! The BSR came with it and really like that. I also bought a Viking 936 serger about 4 years ago and wish I'd bought a Bernina. The machine was "dead" 1 month after warranty and I'd barely used the machine (husband went through a health scare and sewing was last thing on my mind). It took some arguing with the Viking dealer to get it replaced (they tried replacing the computer in the machine twice). I told them I didn't think I should be stuck with a very expensive door stop! When I heard they'd been bought out by the new Singer company, I said never again would I get anything from Viking. These companies should be required to rename the brand so you know it's not the original Viking, Phaff, etc.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM

I fell in love with the Bernina knee lever the first time I used it. I don't believe I could sew without it. As a Handquilter I never machine quilt anything bigger than a crib quilt so the deeper throat plate isn't something I need. I also have two stand alone embroidery machines so I can have three machines going at one time if I so desire. My first Bernina was a 1260 and I traded it in after at least ten years without every having a single problem with it. I now possess a Artista 185 without the embroidery module, a Bernina 220, a Bernina stand alone embroidery machine and a singer Featherweight. I also own a Brother embroidery machine that uses the same software and format as the Bernina. I also own a Bernina serger and took it to my local dealer recently because I had forgotten how to make a rolled edge with it. They sat down with me and we ran through the whole process. They didn't charge me a dime.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Went to Joann's today and the floor model 875 sapphire is $1800 from $2400 as they are introducing a new machine in November. Oh my, the pressure is on. It is the last one left!!! Of course! I am going tomorrow and test drive. That is a really good price. It has a lot more bells and whistles than the Bernina 530 and they want $2300. Then you want to know what the new machine will do. They have no clue. All a big secret.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:15 PM

I also have 3 baby locks and also love them worry free. #1 my everyday machine I take to class all the time have had it over 2 years, keep it clean and oiled. # 2 my baby lock quilters quest use that at home for general sewing., the my favorite is my baby lock "Ellisimo".., this is my all time love, does beautiful embroidery.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM

I just can't imagine any other machine than a Bernina. I have an old 830 from the 1960's and it just keeps going. Several years ago, I bought a 440. Berninas just have no problems and keep going. I love both of my machines and wouldn't even consider a Viking. Most quilters I know have either a Baby Lock, a Janome, a Pfaff or a Bernina. My Bernina dealer is super too.
Verna in So Cal
Old 08-10-2013, 06:38 AM

I found Bernina to be over priced so bought a Viking Sapphire 830. Love this machine. Why have a knee lift when the foot automatically lifts just a little when you stop sewing. Great feature to have when in needle down mode.
The push button lift I use very little, only when I need to lift the foot up higher than the auto lift does.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 AM

None of the above, pfaff's for me, well built machines, as long as its the older machines