Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Belfry, this video was what I used to teach me to do Paper Piecing. I found it very valuable and she does a great job of explaining it. Hope it helps you and anyone else that needs a refresher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM
Thank you. I've bookmarked it to watch this afternoon. I think the problem with the Craftsy BOM is by the time we got to PP, I was so NOT liking the instructor as she appeared to go out of her way to make things more difficult than they needed to be. Then I put the project up, and you all know how that goes! But I pulled it out yesterday, and am looking for the bag of scraps I was using for that quilt. Maybe tomorrow, I'll do the first PP block of that BOM and "report" back here.
I just realised I posted three times in a row -- sorry for taking over!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Belfrybat, you are not taking over by posting three times in a row; you had information to give to the rest of us. I am also confused on how many different colors to use, so will play it as we go along on the journey. At the end of the journey (I am confused, but used to it) we can say we used "?" amount of ___ different fabrics. I thought we would post one block, then the next date in the month, we post the second one or post two at once which quickly will exceed the number of posted patterns available....I think. Help, someone who knows. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Belfrybat, she uses a white on white consistently as the main background, and she uses the yellow pindot for all the corners. She only mentions a 3rd background on Design 1 and Design 5.

I am going to get about 2 yards of a white on white because I don't want to run out of my background color.

I made a chart of the color of each block that she has posted so far. She has used 17 different colors, not including the backgrounds. I like Honchey's idea of using a collection from one of the designers, but the ones I liked had larger prints than I thought would work with this pattern. The pattern pieces are really small. I only had to buy 4 yards so far, all the rest was from my stash.

Last edited by JeanieG; 08-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:10 AM

I looked through my stash today. I had thought of using some I hand dyed many years ago, but decided against it. I'll keep looking. I'm thinking something brighter for these blocks.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM

I'm going to give this a try
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Hip Hip Hooray ..... another Canuck joins the fold!
Welcome DungeonQuilter!!!
I'm looking forward to your being with us.
So shop your stash, and get that machine purrrrrring along!
Where abouts are you?? ... I'm in the GGTAW (Greater GTA-West!)
I am in the West Niagara Region.
I just received F4 packs of Stonehenge in Copper Penny and Cool Waters. 12 F4 each. This should be enough to piece all the stars. Just need to decide on background.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Here are my F4 packs - Cool Waters and Copper Penny from Stonehenge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182_1.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	429516  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Oh dungeon those are beautiful fabrics! They will make a marvelous quilt! What do you think you will use as your background? Maybe a cream/off white???

Pamesue - welcome to our group. We will look forward to seeing what you choose for your fabrics!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:43 PM

I love the fabrics everyone is choosing. I also found it confusing about background #1,2, and 3. Thanks, Jeanie, for clarifying that. This senior blonde confuses easily.

I can't post my fabric choices because I'm going to use these blocks as other projects--just don't need another large quilt. I know I want to make a bedrunner, so I'll coordinate those blocks. Honchey mentioned that they look like poinsettias so I may make a couple out of Christmas fabric--always need a last minute gift. So I guess I'll choose my fabric as the mood strikes me--no they won't be all black LOL.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
I have a fairly busy weekend and I doubt I can begin pulling fabrics to see what I want to use until the first of the week. I'd like to stick with things in my stash and I should be able to if I keep myself under control! And out of shops! I'm seeing some pretty choices already.

QuiltE- Does OKsoGlad know that fall is coming and things on the farm and in the garden slow down and she will need something to do for fear of becoming bored? And our blocks will amaze her and she will be depressed that she has none? Maybe she will see this and reconsider her decision!
What me bored? Not likely!! I'll be playing catch up on all that I've put on hold--like deep down farm bookwork! Plus thinking of making a trip to East Coast first weekend of Nov--another week gone from my normal work schedule. I will be strong. I will resist. Just got back from church so resisting temptation is at a high level.