Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by qwkslver View Post
My question in regards to this is how old is too old? I have fabric that belonged to my husband's grandmother's mother in law, fabric I have had since my 20s, etc. .
The blacks are probably rotten enough to show holes or pull away in the seams of a quilt when washed.
If the greens show any kind of streaking/color fading they won't do either.

I've been on the fabric wagon since 2001. It was harder than quitting smoking, not quite as hard as losing weight...
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM

I guess I'm really lucky (or not), because just buying fabric doesn't excite me. I love buying for a particular project, and I have four ready to go, but it would never occur to me to just buy fabric because it's beautiful. I need a pattern in mind to visualize the fabric I want for it. So far, I've been really good about buying only what I can complete. I've made about 24 projects in the two years I've been quilting. I'm really collecting quite a few scraps though, so I need to find a couple of controlled scrappy quilts to use them up. I don't think I will ever fall prey to the hoarding bug. Too much fabric would drive me crazy. I would feel guilty that I wasn't using it all up. I do think that having four projects in waiting is pushing my limit a little. Got to get busy.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Girls, girls, girls, we are not hoarders, we are collectors. When my stash becomes overwhelming, I start cutting pieced backings, or making reversables. It doesn't matter, just cuts it down so I can get something I like better
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM

I feel better after reading so many posts regarding hoarding. I've lived in my house for 50 years . . .
fabric abundant! Three years ago, I helped start a quilt group at the local church. We make to give
away . . . NO you don't need to be a Baptist to get a free quilt. So many hurting people . . . .they
feel like people love and care about them when they receive a throw size quilt. I have NOT made a
quilt for self in the last three years . . . .feels good and I love sewing up the fabric I have and the
donated scraps others give us. I read recently, a Blanket can keep you warm, but a quilt can make
you feel loved. I think it is true. . . .share some fabric and share some quilts . . .Be a love giver . .good for YOU!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:11 AM

One month later after my post.

No fabric purchases, will be one month on 8/28.
One trip to Joann's - just bought batting at 50% off. Good girl.
Almost finished one baby quilt - good girl.

But........

DH bought me 2 sewing machines at a yard sale. He told me I've been blue and wanted to cheer me up.

My withdrawal is showing.

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Confessional time ........
I have decided today, that I am a fabric Hoarder - and I am going to stop!!!! I will never in many lifetimes complete all the projects that I have hidden in totes, drawers, closets, attics, trunk of car. My goal for this fall and winter, is take all the fabric that I will never use (you know the kind, the stuff from yard sales, auctions, thrift stores,etc) and donate it. When I was first starting to hoard and quilt, I hunted down fabric - not project specific, just fabric, lots of it. Not the best quality, in colors that I do not like any longer. Even if I remove 50-100 yards of fabric, I still will not have enough years left to make the projects that are left. Seriously, am I the only one who realizes that "enough is enough'?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:25 AM

I'm going to try to only buy backing/border fabric until I have 6 quilts finished. Then I am going to go through all of my scraps, FQ's and small pieces and piece a few scrappy baby quilt tops, so I can grab them and quilt when I have the time, and when I get a shower invite all I have to do is finish, and hopefully, eventually, just grab a quilt off the stack, label and wrap! I know our Charity Quilting group has way, way too much fabric. You might consider spending a day and seeing how many of a simple block you can sew. Right now i'm working on a Bonnie Hunter Dancing 9 patch out of my leftover swapped 2.5 inch squares.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:09 AM

I tell myself "enough is enough". every time I buy some more fabric
Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
pw6

post them and sell some, buy yourself a cabinet with heavy wood shelves with glass sliding doors that way you can see what you have and it gives you new ideas to start new projects.. small pieces of fabric can be made into everything from coasters to tablecloths, purses, wallhangings, I use a lot of scraps and smaller fabric to paper piece I made a king size quilt from mostly scraps... LOL.. enjoy a lots of fabric I have over 10,000 yards and would love to buy about 5,000 more because it is a drag to start a quilt and not have all the fabrics needed without having to go buy, you can never have to much fabric... Love it.. now that I am retired I can sew to my hearts content...