Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice! >

I need advice!

I need advice!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 AM

Default I need advice!

I'm making a king size quilt for my bed. Right now the top is 86"x91". I still need to put borders on. The problem is the the center of the quilt measures 85" and the ends are 86". I know why this happened as there is a lot more piecing on the ends and the center is a panel. A lot of stretching has taken place with so much piecing. What can I do to fix it before I add any borders? Can it be fixed??? Thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 AM

Don't take my advice; my second quilt was six inches wider one end from the other. My sister told me to reset. Lot of it. But, I think for an inch, I would leave it. Curious about what experts say.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:17 AM

Adding The Borders will help. You do have to measure the quilt top "correctly" for determining the length of each border. You measure the length of the top from the CENTER of the quilt. Not the edges! That is your measurement for the borders. Do the same for the width...from the center. You should be able to ease that extra inch into the border. Your pattern will explain this better than I just did.

your 85" center measurement is the measurement for the border on each side. It is a huge quilt....it should work out fine. I would "ease" the quilt top by sewing the border on to the TOP of the quilt. The feed dogs will do the easing. (Longer piece goes on the bottom when sewing). But keep an eye on it when sewing. I hope that this makes sense.

I am sure that others will have thoughts.
sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 08-14-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:38 AM

I would ease in the longer sides when adding the borders as suggested by Sandy in the post above. A one-inch difference, eased in for a king size quilt, is very minor. I have done the easing in a number of times before adding borders or binding.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Cut a border strip 86 inches but mark the 85 and pin the 2 border ends at the 85 inch mark together. Now pin the center of the border to the center of the quilt end. Continue pinning at intervals along the edge. Place the quilt top on the bottom next to the feed dogs. The feed dogs will help ease the extra into the border strip. When you get to the middle, check the pin there. Are you down to a 1/2 inch out? That should tell you the second half inch should ease in.
I know most people would say cut the border and ease it all in but I like to give myself the extra fabric just in case you end up about 1/4 inch over. The border being out a little is better than wasting a whole border strip with it being cut too short. Do the other borders and if they all come out about 1/4 inch out, pat yourself on the back and trim off the extra border strip ends.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM

I know that many say to use the center of the quilt for your border measurements, but I use the two sides and the center, then I average those. The average is what I use to cut my borders. Also, if you cut your borders WOF. it will ease better. I just put borders on a quilt this morning, and I cut my borders length of fabric. They weren't as easy to "ease". Be sure to mark the center of the quilt side, and the center of your border strip... pin the center and the two sides, and ease the rest in. After all, the quilt is going on the bed, not on the wall. And no one will ever see that your sides don't match perfectly!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=Sandygirl;6233361]Adding The Borders will help. You do have to measure the quilt top "correctly" for determining the length of each border. You measure the length of the top from the CENTER of the quilt. Not the edges! That is your measurement for the borders. Do the same for the width...from the center. You should be able to ease that extra inch into the border. Your pattern will explain this better than I just did.

your 85" center measurement is the measurement for the border on each side. It is a huge quilt....it should work out fine. I would "ease" the quilt top by sewing the border on to the TOP of the quilt. The feed dogs will do the easing. (Longer piece goes on the bottom when sewing). But keep an eye on it when sewing. I hope that this makes sense.

I am sure that others will have thoughts.
End quote

i had a helpful tip told to me to remember " longer piece underneathe" = baggy bottom 😊 helps me haha

i'm wondering if i can get away with a border cut crosswise rather than longwise on a small lap quilt ( 40" x 50") as i only have a piece of fabric 20" long by wof. ...? Any help on that please?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:25 PM

i'm wondering if i can get away with a border cut crosswise rather than longwise on a small lap quilt ( 40" x 50") as i only have a piece of fabric 20" long by wof. ...? Any help on that please?[/QUOTE]
I have done borders both ways, crosswise and lengthwise. It should not be a problem. Go for it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

For only a one inch difference, I would ease in that inch, and it should not be noticeable at all. I was always taught to measure in the center of the quilt to the edge, and again for the long side. I've sometimes taken 3 measurements side to side and top to bottom and take the average between the three measurements. Hope I haven't confused you.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mbake View Post
I'm making a king size quilt for my bed. Right now the top is 86"x91". I still need to put borders on. The problem is the the center of the quilt measures 85" and the ends are 86". I know why this happened as there is a lot more piecing on the ends and the center is a panel. A lot of stretching has taken place with so much piecing. What can I do to fix it before I add any borders? Can it be fixed??? Thank you.
I would not sweat a one inch difference. Who will know beside you?