Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
can anyone identify this plant? >

can anyone identify this plant?

can anyone identify this plant?

Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 AM

We have had these also. They are called different names, Moon Flower, Angel's Trumpet, & also called Devil's Tumpet. Be careful because they can really tak over a flower bed when they drop the seeds.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 AM

Thank you all for the info.
It's definitely not a vine, and the way it is randomly sprouting around his foundation makes me think it grows from seeds.

He's the child who says NO CHILDREN, and since he lives on a golf course, and remarks how people there let their dogs run, I bet that means NO PETS too. Good to know about the poisonous quality though, I'll put it in front of my fence,as the dogs have access to the rear.

I'm kind of excited now, I know just where one is going to go!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM

All the plants mentioned, except the Moonflower Vine are related. They are all members of the Datura family and are all poisonous. Jimpson weed may be the original wild member of the family, but I am not sure of that. Angel Trumpets, Devil's Trumpet, and many other names are given to the various cultivars.
As a rule the Angel's Trumpets are not hardy, even from seed, in the colder climates and are usually grown as house plants or in greenhouses.
The plant in the photo, is a common Datura that readily reseeds itself in northern gardens even tho it dies back to the ground every winter.
As with ALL Daturas, they are very poisonous and should be grown with caution. They are lovely tho, and have a wonderful scent in the cooler evening and morning hours.
I had them in my garden until one of my teen daughter's friends decided to make tea from the seeds and ended up in the hospital. Thankfully he survived but it was touch and go for a while there. He had seen on TV a show warning people that the plant could be used to get high on, but that it was very poisonous. Apparently there had been some problems recently with teens doing that, so the TV news showed all about how to do it, in warning of not to. Sheesh. Needless to say, that plant was immediately gone from my garden forever after.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Definitely looks like a moonflower. Does it close up during the day and unfurl at dusk?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:49 PM

Datura. Its a type of moon flower. Hummingbirds love them. After teh flowers , there will be a spikey ball that grows. Inside that ball are seeds. I usually cut and save teh balls in a paper bag untill it is completely dried. Then wearing leather gloves-cut it open adn save teh seeds. Be very careful, as teh seed pods are very prickly. It isworth the effort as they get huge beautiful flowers tht open at nite.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:58 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=moon...w=1024&bih=601

You can check on these.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Every plant that is mentioned here is related and all are poisonous. Whether you love them or not. They are invasive and can cause serious illness and DEATH to every living creature. Be very careful around them when handling. You can get get contaminated and not even know it. Even if you never have, yet!

Farmers have a huge problem with this plant causing illness and death in livestock.

Years ago there was a big ta do over this plant when kids found out they could get high using it. At that time every mother wanted this horrible plant eradicated from the planet.

http://www.gardenology.org/wiki/Datura

Some people like poison ivy too, only because it causes damage to the neighborhood, just saying!

peace to all
Old 08-14-2013, 02:36 PM

I'm so tickled to see this post! I looked for this plant for a couple years. My DS founds seeds last year at a flea market. I planted and had my first bloom yesterday. I love them; I like them like I love weeping willows...something kind of sad and moody about angel trumpets!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM

I have heard them called moon flowers here in mid Michigan. I have one by my compost pile and last year there was one by the small creek at the driveway. I credit the birds I guess. I am going to harvest the prickly seed pods when they dry and hope to get more next year. My flowers had a purple cast.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:30 PM
yel

i have a angel trumpet ...flower looks like that but leaves and plant are different ...angel trumpets hang down.....they don't smell much during the day but night time is a different story---come in pink /white and yellow