Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
can anyone identify this plant? >

can anyone identify this plant?

can anyone identify this plant?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Here we call them Moonflowers. And yes they are poisonous BUT if you are that dumb to eat or otherwise try to get HIGH then you are just dumb. Rhubarb(leaf) is poisonous, foxglove, narcissus, ... the list goes on. That's why they are bitter so we know NOT to eat them. Enjoy the blooms and the fact they come back. For some reason mine did not winter over so I have to baby the one I have so I can get it to seed over for next year.
Adults know that! Remember when we used to suck the nectar out of flowers??????? When we were kids?????? I don't think leaves on a Datura, I think flowers and seeds! I don't like this thread. Let us wake up and smell the roses. A Datura is poison any way you cut it. And it is more enticing to children, also pets, rabbits. I don't give a flying fig how beautiful a flower is, if it is poisonous to children (adults should know better) then it doesn't belong in a garden, or behind a shed, or garage where people don't have total sight of a flower. Maybe a child thinks it is pretty and smells it and tastes it and brings it home to Mom. I didn't take a chance when my son and my grandchildren saw them, which my granddaughter saw one just this past week. I told her they were poisonous and to stay away from them, don't touch them, don't pick them. I get so upset with this thread, I could cry.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:59 AM

this is classed as an obnoxious weed can't think what it's called we called it wild morning glory. the thing will choke out everything. Farmers hate it, I can't grow a garden for it.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 AM

We call it wild morning glory as well and it can be so heavy it will bring a fence down.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 AM

Just FYI, the climbing, vining plant that is commonly called wild Morning Glory is altogether a different plant from the Datura. Although the flowers have a similar shape and color, the Datura bloom is vastly larger than the vining plant bloom. The Datura does not climb, but is rather a shrubby plant but with softer, not woody, stems.
The seeds of the morning glory are said to be a hallucinogen, however, to my knowledge, they do not possess the deadly poisonous properties of the Datura.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM

If your plant does not have the seed pods, it looks like it could be a Mandevilla (pronounced Mandevia). I have a white one and a red one. They are glowing with all the blooms they produce. My white one is in the pot I bought it and and I set it under a obelisk. It climbs like crazy. The red one is under half of an iron hay older. The tendrils will latch onto anything to keep on climbing. This is the first year for my white one, but I've had red ones for 2 other years. I have to cut them back and bring them into the garage in the winter. They won't survive here in South Dakota if I didn't do that. Good luck finding out for sure what yours is. Just google the different names and you will usually see pictures also.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM

That,s right it is a moon plant only blooms at night. In the same family as a morning glory.After the blooms are spent they produce a seed pod,seed pods are round with tiny sticky needles on them.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Not a trumpet plant, leaves r lighter in color and way bigger.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

This is Angel Trumpet and is poison! Be very careful with this, use gloves and check it out on the internet. ALL PARTS ARE POISONOUS ESPECIALLY THE SEEDS AND LEAVES. Don't have this in your garden at all, it's too dangerous.

Last edited by stablemom; 08-15-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM

I don't know now. Not so much because it's poisonous, but because many of you called it a weed, and to me, sounds like it would take over the garden. I certainly don't need that, especially since I'm 'downsizing' the garden.
Just a bit of info I found:

Effects of ingestion

Due to the potent combination of anticholinergic substances it contains, Datura intoxication typically produces effects similar to that of an anticholinergic delirium (as contrasted to hallucination): a complete inability to differentiate reality from fantasy; hyperthermia; tachycardia; bizarre, and possibly violent behavior; and severe mydriasis with resultant painful photophobia that can last several days. Pronounced amnesia is another commonly reported effect.[14]

A complete inability to tell reality from fantasy? I certainly don't need (more) of that! Bizarre behavior? Don't need anymore of that either! Amnesia? Got that covered already!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM

That plant is Deadly Nightshade. It also grows in the desert, just not as full and large. It is a beautifull plant, but BEWARE. The whole thing is VERY poisonous - not to be kept where there are kids playing. It does make for a beautiful garden plant, so if you decide to keep it, make sure everyone knows to "Look, but don't touch."