Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 AM

I hear what you ladies are saying with print fabric... I think I will enlarge my patterns, I have a terrible time with PP anyway It might be the best idea for me, I LOVE prints... I cant just give them up! I think the patterns will look great LARGE... hmmm.... I ordered background fabric from fabric.com it should be here during the week sometime, I will take a pic and decide on block size.

Mirabelle I WISH for a badge!!! this self pride just isnt as good as a big ol reward is it? maybe it would be incentive enough for me to actually FINISH a top and QUILT it eh?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM

DD, I have more trouble paper piecing large blocks. I always cut the fabric too small. Maybe if I measured instead of just doing hack & wack cutting they'd fit. I think these blocks would look great enlarged. I may have to try one. Oh no! Please quit putting more ideas into my head!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:18 AM

to funny Jan! another block for the "must never be opened" box?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Wow, 314 posts already. Well, I am going to see if I can jump in here, catch up and be ready by September. I have a lot of reading to do!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I am 'cooking' right along on my WIP's so I can start this on time! finished the binding on the second 'in the works' quilt today and managed to get the appliques fused onto one of the 4 outer borders on the last one. so I am on a roll! I do still need to make a couple labels- I have my patterns copied & 'in the way' on the cutting table so every time I need to cut something I have to pick them up & move them to the side...I {think} I have decided to do mine in batiks- haven't decided on a background yet- still 'tossing' that around- I did my *50 stars* project last year with black background on all 50 stars- so kind of leaning toward white for this project--but still not totally committed. I love seeing all the different selections that are coming up. I really want to 'set aside' the quilt i'm working on (for a day) and make one of these blocks! so hard not to....but I really need to stay focused & finish it up! oh...sometimes self discipline is soooooo hard! I keep reminding myself--- there are still a couple weeks in August- and if I stay 'focused' I will be able to enjoy this more- {instead of sitting here on the computer- I could be making that first block....} ugh
Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM

I started doing the first block today. Got about half way through just one of the six pieces, and realized that back in Section three - it did not quite fit right. I think I'll just start over, too many pieces to have to unsew! I put the whole thing down in disgust with myself! Gotta check every piece up against the light dummy!!!! Now I have to print out another page! Oh well, I have a lot of time to get it correct! I think it will take longer than I thought to do one complete block.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM

Jeanie, it took me a whole section to follow the line numbers. I'm used to just the sections being numbered so I was sewing things in the wrong order. After I recopied the screwed up section I did, I quit paying attention to "line number" and just did them "section" order like I normally pp. (does this make sense?) I agree, too many pieces to un-sew.

Ccowl, you have much more self-discipline than I do. Good for you sticking to finishing projects.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I am 'cooking' right along on my WIP's so I can start this on time! finished the binding on the second 'in the works' quilt today and managed to get the appliques fused onto one of the 4 outer borders on the last one. so I am on a roll! I do still need to make a couple labels- I have my patterns copied & 'in the way' on the cutting table so every time I need to cut something I have to pick them up & move them to the side...I {think} I have decided to do mine in batiks- haven't decided on a background yet- still 'tossing' that around- I did my *50 stars* project last year with black background on all 50 stars- so kind of leaning toward white for this project--but still not totally committed. I love seeing all the different selections that are coming up. I really want to 'set aside' the quilt i'm working on (for a day) and make one of these blocks! so hard not to....but I really need to stay focused & finish it up! oh...sometimes self discipline is soooooo hard! I keep reminding myself--- there are still a couple weeks in August- and if I stay 'focused' I will be able to enjoy this more- {instead of sitting here on the computer- I could be making that first block....} ugh
Good for you!! Me? Of course I had other projects in the works ... and they'll just have to stay that way and quit nagging me
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Jeanie, it took me a whole section to follow the line numbers. I'm used to just the sections being numbered so I was sewing things in the wrong order. After I recopied the screwed up section I did, I quit paying attention to "line number" and just did them "section" order like I normally pp. (does this make sense?) I agree, too many pieces to un-sew.

Ccowl, you have much more self-discipline than I do. Good for you sticking to finishing projects.
Me too! That "line number" was totally not necessary.

I've started one block. I've been placing two pieces each night (on all 6 parts of the block - so 12 pieces of fabric each night). Nothing done tonight (it was too pretty outside so I played in the garden), but it's the weekend!! I'd like to finish this block this weekend, should be able to. It will give me a chance to see how my colors play together and if I don't like it ... back to the drawing board.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Hubby gave me a scare tonight, and made me re-think my intentions for this project.

I'm planning on making each individual block into a place mat for the dining table. Currently we are using woven plastic placemats (ok ... they sound cheap, awful and ugly, but they're actually quite attractive and as it turns out, practical).

For dinner tonight I slaved over a "Chinese Restaurant". Brought the stuff home and hubby picked up the Mongolian Beef container and it bent (you know those cheap foil containers that have zero rigidity) and it went SPLOOOSH all over the plate, the place mat, and the dining table.

I was able to run the place mat under the faucet, wipe it dry and use it within 5 minutes.

If he does that with one the place mats I'm making .... well ... the man may never have another dinner again let alone Chinese.

Although ... Mongolian Beef at least matches my color scheme

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 08-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.