Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart? >

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM

some of the fabric, the quality is great some not so great, you really have to touch and feel the material
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 AM

Hi,
I don't like the "hand" of fabric from WalMart and even Joann's. I really feel the difference, more than see it. If you are going to spend a huge amount of time making a quilt, why not spend a bit more for fabrics that are scrumptious?

I did buy a custom printed fabric from a well known designer online, though, and spent 17 a yard, and the whole thing faded in a month. I was really disappointed!
nancy
Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 AM

I do not buy fabric from Wal mart or Joann, unless it is for something non-quilt related, like costumes or such.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:41 AM

I have purchased several types of quilting cottons and have made my granddaughters quilts. They have all held up well.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 AM

Our WalMart has some very nice fabric for $4.97, $5.44, and $7.97 (this one has a great hand). As with anywhere we purchase fabric we must careful. I had won a $20 certificate to our one LQS a couple of weeks ago at our in-house retreat. I stopped in to use it and was shocked to find rough feeling fabric priced at $8.99 and $9.99. We have a couple of places where we can purchase great fabric for $3.00 to $5.00 a yard.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 AM

Quilters would be surprised to learn that Wal-mart buys fabric from the same wholesalers that quilt shops do.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Being new to quilting this is the fabric my husband and i started with and then progressed to quilt shops fabric
and like what already been said walmart fabric has gotten alot better and the have some very pretty fabric now
Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 AM

I buy my fabric at Walmart and Hobby Lobby.
You can buy thin anywhere even at a lqs which I did.
just look at it closely.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 AM

I camped next to a woman from Boston and she went into a tirade about Cranston Fabric. Said it was badmouthed by quilters everywhere and she knew for a fact that it was very good fabric. WalMart carries Cranston Fabric. I am presently making a Christmas quilt out of WalMart fabric and most of it is very old and it is holding up just fine. When I started making quilts for my grandchildren, I was not a quilter. I bought panels from WalMart and then added borders and ruffles, whatever. They have held up wonderfully, washed a zillion times and still have the good colors and designs. I look at the weave and how it feels, so I do use WalMart fabric from time to time. Yes, I prefer the name brands but they are now $10.99-12.99 a yard. Saw some batiks at a discount house while traveling that was $15.99 a yard !!! If I was making a heirloom quilt, then I would buy the best, but that's not the kind I make.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by lscho4jm View Post
Quilters would be surprised to learn that Wal-mart buys fabric from the same wholesalers that quilt shops do.
No that is not a surprise. Wholesalers carry a wide range of goods. Fabric manufacturers can produce a wide range of lines. I'll bet W doesn't buy the top of the line.

No more surprising than knowing most restaurant food is supplied by Sysco or any of the other distributors around.