Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody here do a "major" downsize? >

Anybody here do a "major" downsize?

Anybody here do a "major" downsize?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM

We've done a major downsizing, not because of health or money though, but I do sympathize with you. We went from a 1700 sq. ft stick built home to a '63 trailer with an add on, for total sq. footage of maybe 800, my old sewing room was 20x20, my new sewing room is 9x15, not nearly big enough, but we look at it as a "temporary" situation, when we can sell our old home for what we need and the granddaughter is out of school, then we'll either build a home or put a larger modular home on our property here. The only "upsize" we did was in acreage, instead of 4 1/2 acres we now have 80. I've had a few yard sales and have donated a lot of stuff to our local Humane Society thrift store.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

First get a layout diagram of the unit. Put it on grid paper (measure 2x) See where your furniture will fit. Measure how much sq. footage it will take up. such as length and width of space as you have it now. Sofa, recliners, end tables. After all that decide what stays and goes with family also. Then have a moving sale and let your guild (if you're in one)and other "crafters" know. If you're on FAcebook or one of your kids or GKids are let thempost it for you only the day before. You may want them to post also "ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY BIRDS". My sister had a garage sale to begin at 8:00 a.m. and "g-salers" were showing up at 7:00 a.m. Anything left over you can donate.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 AM

When I retired 10 years ago, I cleaned out every closet and drawer, purging "mess" everywhere. Then I painted every paintable wall (same color). The house smiled and felt "lighter" as did I. Then, like stitchinwitch, I suddenly lost my DH. Following that, I purged once more and moved into the bottom floor of my 2400 sq ft home. I learned that I only really needed about 700-900 sq ft to handle all my needs.

LSS, I met present DH who lived in another state. I had to clear out my entire house so I could rent it when I moved into his furnished house. Fortunately, my SIL was building a mountain cabin so she came and took everything that my kids and I didn't want. What I want you to hear from this is that the HUGE REVELATION is my kids wanted very little even of their dad's things. I had saved and cared for things for YEARS for them and they (2 married boys) weren't interested. My DH finished his basement into a studio for me. It had track lighted design wall, full bath with marble tile shower and a back lighted quartz insert, enormous walk in closet and a view to die for.

Two years of freezing winters and snow put us in the market for a house further south. We bought a little "fishing shack" with 2 bedrooms/2 baths on the sound. I sew in the living room and cut fabric on the screened in porch. My ironing board is up in our living room all the time. We really "live" in this room! We're warm and happy as clams!

You can make this happen just don't think you have to live a traditional way. I am ready for company anytime but it doesn't "look" that way. I don't shut down and stash when someone is coming for a visit. If they don't like it they can leave. Like Jan, a love seat is fine these days and folks should count themselves lucky that I am providing that sitting space, LOL!

We have gotten our house contents down to the bare minimum and it could still be pared down. It's a mind set. You can do this effortlessly if you get your mind in the right place. I kept telling my DH, "THINGS aren't important, PEOPLE are." and we have purged accordingly. I refuse to be "owned' by stuff! Be encouraged by this opportunity to free yourself from your belongings! You will ultimately leave them all behind.

PS. I do have a large stash which I use, add to, and keep organized!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Purge, Purge, Purge and be happy!

When I retired 10 years ago, I cleaned out every closet and drawer, purging "mess" everywhere. Then I painted every paintable wall (same color). The house smiled and felt "lighter" as did I. Then, like stitchinwitch, I suddenly lost my DH. Following that, I purged once more and moved into the bottom floor of my 2400 sq ft home. I learned that I only really needed about 700-900 sq ft to handle all my needs.

LSS, I met present DH who lived in another state. I had to clear out my entire house so I could rent it when I moved into his furnished house. Fortunately, my SIL was building a mountain cabin so she came and took everything that my kids and I didn't want. What I want you to hear from this is that the HUGE REVELATION is my kids wanted very little even of their dad's things. I had saved and cared for things for YEARS for them and they (2 married boys) weren't interested. My DH finished his basement into a studio for me. It had track lighted design wall, full bath with marble tile shower and a back lighted quartz insert, enormous walk in closet and a view to die for.

Two years of freezing winters and snow put us in the market for a house further south. We bought a little "fishing shack" with 2 bedrooms/2 baths on the sound. I sew in the living room and cut fabric on the screened in porch. My ironing board is up in our living room all the time. We really "live" in this room! We're warm and happy as clams!

You can make this happen just don't think you have to live a traditional way. I am ready for company anytime but it doesn't "look" that way. I don't shut down and stash when someone is coming for a visit. If they don't like it they can leave. Like Jan, a love seat is fine these days and folks should count themselves lucky that I am providing that sitting space, LOL!

We have gotten our house contents down to the bare minimum and it could still be pared down. It's a mind set. You can do this effortlessly if you get your mind in the right place. I kept telling my DH, "THINGS aren't important, PEOPLE are." and we have purged accordingly. I refuse to be "owned' by stuff! Be encouraged by this opportunity to free yourself from your belongings! You will ultimately leave them all behind.

PS. I do have a large stash which I use, add to, and keep organized!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM

I'm in the process of this right now after my DH passing last month from COPD. I'm in a 2000 sf mobile home and moving to a 900 sf 2 bdrm apartment. It's amazing when you start cleaning things out how much you just don't need anymore. I'm watching all the great tips here so it will help my move easier. I'm taking the larger bedroom for my sewing room which needs more space anyway LOL

Good luck on your downsizing project too!!!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM

A couple of years ago, for health reasons, I had to move from my home of 40 + years to the farm with my DD. I first let the kids & grandkids take what the wanted from the house. I could only bring 1 room of furniture & she had another room set up as a sewing/quilting room. The things the kids didn't want I sorted into what I was donating & what I was throwing away. I gave away the biggest part of my "stash" - there was no way I would live long enough to use it all, anyway. I kept the house & let one of my granddaughters move into it, so I was able to keep some of the things I couldn't bear to part with, but didn't have room here for. I just stored it in plastic "totes in the garage. It is hard to part with things that you have lived with & loved for all those years - just keep telling yourself - "it's only things". I know that most of the things I left in the garage will one day be tossed or donated, but I asked the kids to just wait until I was "gone" before getting rid of the rest that they don't want. When it came right down to it, I was really surprised at what everyone wanted. Not the things that I considered "valuable" at all.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM

My mother moved from her house to a one bedroom seniors rental, and since she had a sister who was close to a hoarder and had already moved to one of these one bedroom units she was so afraid of cluttering hers up the same. (Not really a problem as my mother was always a neat freak, but anyway..) We helped her take items over that she really wanted, then if she had room, would take a few more, and a few more till she had everything she wanted. Family took a few things but not really that much that we wanted. After about a month living in her new place, we all went through the last of the thngs left , and then had a sale to get rid of the rest of the stuff.
This gave her the time to really think about what she wanted/needed in her new place, and gradually get comfortable with not having some of her things, with the option still there if she changed her mind.
She's been living there for about 10 years now, and still gets rid of things she doesn't use to keep the clutter down.
Wish I was more like my mother!!
Laurie
Old 08-17-2013, 10:04 AM

Ask your grown children to come over and move you. When my husband and I moved a few years ago, our son and one daughter came over and threw most everything out and then had a garage sale on the furniture. I had a broken foot at the time and was unable to move fast enough to stop them. One rule to go by is, if something has not been used in a year throw it out or give it away. I still do not do that but my daughter does and she has no clutter.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:33 AM

The last time we moved, we were there 14 years, and there was stuff in the garage that had not been unpacked since we moved in. No way was that coming with us when we downsized, and I decided that if anything was going to be stored in the attic, well, we did not need it. We were very ruthless, and the only stuff that was stored in the garage was garden furniture and suitcases. I don't miss any of the things I got rid of.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Similar to Tartan, I suggest starting through rooms and closets except....pick out what you have to have in your new space and mark them or put them aside...if you start by trying to decide what to get rid of/what you don't want, the decisions are harder to make. By thinking about the new place and what you want around you, you're addressing the move in a positive way and are able to make sure you have the most important things first. Once you've determined what you WILL keep in a specific room, then get rid of the rest. You can make some of the changes now, and by making decisions in this way you'll still be living with the things that really count. You still may end up with too much for the new place, but further paring down will be easier.