Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you sort your stash?  By color? By size? >

How do you sort your stash? By color? By size?

How do you sort your stash? By color? By size?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM

I sort mostly by theme, batik, holidays, childrens, landscapes (bricks, wood etc) and the rest by color, I separate the fabric with enough yardage for backing or borders) all in clear containers of different sizes.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

I have two bins full of cat fabric.

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Ha! I thought I was the only one who had a separate "cat fabric" section!

Dina
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM

I sort by color unless I am collecting various fabrics for a project; projects get their own pile, usually in a basket. Some themes get their own box, such as children's flannel or kids themes.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I separate my batiks, flannels, solids, and rest by colors. Have bins for various strip sizes, and a small basket for crumb pieces.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:49 AM

I am working on organising my stash now. All the comments are helping me go ahead and rethink my methods. Thank you. I am putting 3 yds or less on comic boards, anything above that goes on corplast . I have not divided any or sorted by any method. I am just getting them on boards. I have been ironing 3 hrs a day putting them on the boards and one of my bookcase holds 10 tubs of fabric. I try to do a tub every day. I have 1 bookcase full. I have 10 bookcases. I have to try and get this done before school starts or I wont have much time during school. If i figure out again how to post pictures I will of the one bookcase. But maybe Ill have 2 done by then. LOL
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 AM

I ruler-fold my fabrics so they are all the same and stack well.. I keep holiday fabrics like Christmas and Easter, fall, Halloween and like that separate. All the others I sort by color. Since I had to completely start over after the tornado, I also measure each piece and staple a tag to the salvage with the important information about that piece on it, usually just the yardage, but also if there is a flaw to consider, more than one piece, that sort of thing. Then I stack it on shelves that are in a closet out of light and dust. I think it will be perfect!

I also ruler-fold fat quarters and half yard pieces and stack them separately, also by color. I don't tag fat quarters or the half yard pieces unless there is something different about that particular piece.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM

I sort mine on the Polar Notions boards, and yes it is expensive, but they are sturdy and looks great.
I am remodeling sewing room bow so its a mess, colors will be grey,black,white,red. All fabrics are in colors and then Holidays.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM

I ruler fold -- anything 2yds or less are folded selvage to selvage , then in half again and folded on either a 6" ruler or a 4" ruler. Larger pieces are folded selvage to selvage and then folded on a 6x24 ruler. I sort in a lot of ways: Fat quarters go in a CD tower from Ikea. Christmas, Laurel Burch, Fairy Frost and novelties are stored together. The rest is sorted by color, though I do group batiks together within color families. I have strips, squares and triangles in bins.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

I have one box for strips and another box with differents size blocks in it. The rest of the fabric is folded on shelves in a cabinet.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Most of my fabric is sorted by color, however I do have 4 tubs that are not. I have a tub for multi-colored fabric with dark backgrounds and multi-colored fabric with light backgrounds. I also have a large tub for fabric for OBW's and one for fruits/vegies prints.