Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinning to the quilt frame - hat pins vs T pins vs ...? >

Pinning to the quilt frame - hat pins vs T pins vs ...?

Pinning to the quilt frame - hat pins vs T pins vs ...?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 PM

I really like this idea, but do you ever find that the scrap fabric can make the top and backing crooked? I've seen a few people online who've added scrap borders.

[/QUOTE]
ArchaicArcane. No I am careful to cut the scrap material. Then I use my 1/4 inch foot and sew it to the quilt top carefully. Then attach it to the backing fabric and I don't have any problem with it getting out of line.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM

I use corsage pins in a magnetic dish which I can move along the rails of the frame as I pin. Thinking of investing in red snappers soon.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 PM

When I rented time on a shop long arm, I had to use zippers--and always had trouble getting them on right! The person I purchased my long arm from used corsage pins--and I got tons when I bought it. It took me a long time and many retries to load when I first got it--but I'm getting much faster now. I pine the back and batting togehter on the take up bar, pin the back only on the backing bar, pin the top on the top bar(bottom) and float it at the top. Like Quilted Dove I sew a line across the top of back/batting and then sew my top at that same line. I don't always baste down the sides--I sometimes need to be able to "adjust" the edges! When I do baste, I make sure that the right side is a bigger basting stitch in case I need to unsew and make that adjustment.
I'd like to eventually get a snapper system--but need to start making some money from quilting before I can order them!

T-pins? I've never figured out why those are called "quilt" pins--they are so darn thick and not very sharp--only time I've ever used them were to stick straight in when doing some upholstery projects.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:41 PM

I use the same safety pins to attach to the leaders as I use if I have to pin a quilt I can't fit on my long arm frame and do on my domestic. I got them at Walmart.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 AM

I have a long arm machine on it's way so I was watching a video on Youtube - Handi-Quilter on YouTube and it shows you how to load the quilts. She used hat pins. Lots of good info on Handi-Quilter videos. Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM

Great info CarolynMT. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
There are quilting pins you can buy. I use ones with a flower head. They're long and the head is flat, so they don't cause a lump when you roll the quilt (not that that's a real bother). I took a class at one of the quilt shows with Linda Taylor, and she used what looked like corsage pins. They worked really well, too. Just make sure you get LONG pins, not short pins, or you'll be pinning for days!
Yes, I use the flower pins....but I do know of some who staple onto the leaders, then use one of those staple pullers from office supply to remove........then there are those red snappers.......... I personally couldn't get the zipper concept....I am old school and use the pins......for over 10 yrs.... Your fingers will naturally try to stay our of the way...put your left hand behind, do a two in/out moving fingers as you go....no bleeding.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
once you've Snapped, there is no going back ;-)
Wow that is a TRUE statement!!! I have the ones called Leader Grips they work the same as the red snappers and they are great. I bought the zippers thinking that they would save time and in less than a couple of months I got the grips. By far the BEST investment I have ever got for my long arm. and the zippers were a waste of money for me as they did not really save any time.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

I forgot I'd started this thread! I ended up installing Red Snappers on my old frame and I did like them for the ease of loading a quilt. So much so that when my longarm showed up a whole 2.5 months later (!?!) that I bought Leader Grips for it so they'd be there right from the start. I can load quilts faster than ever and I don't avoid it. In fact, I load them at night before I quit for the day so they're ready to go when I get to the studio in the morning. The only time I pin anymore is if someone's pillowcased a charity quilt before I get it. Those are pinned to my leaders directly after I take the rod for the leader grips out of the "tube".