Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-19-2013, 03:44 AM

LOL language..........sometimes it's difficult to explain. I use 1 template for all the pieces to be cut with that template. So there are 6 subunits of one block, for each unit you need 2 pieces, 1 up and 1 down (or mirrored).
This doesn't count always though, depends on the design of the block. Sometimes you don't have to mirror the pieces. Do you still get it??
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
nygal we are making Block 1 and Block 2 in September, Block 3 and Block 4 in October and so on, so two DIFFERENT blocks each month. There are 12 blocks in the series and as of today only 5 have been released. I hope that has answered your query
Yes, that does answer my question exactly. I appreciate it.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 AM

NGal, this is a wonderful knowledgeable group, and someone will always have the right answer, I have noticed. Some of us may pass, and let the best one answer the question with full confidence that they will. They have for each of us for several years....leaving our questions answered and smiling at their replies.. All of you new to this project (and neighborhood) are welcome to ask as many questions as you want too!

Thank you, Mirabelle for labeling pieces with the size of fabric each time. That will make the project easier, I think. And I know I will have lots of help if I yell for 'help!'.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Before anyone uses or prints the measurements that Mirabelle posted PLEASE wait until her block is finished being put together to make sure everything is accurate....OKAY???
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Hellloooooooo!!!!
Yes, I am here for a quick visit.
Have done a quick read through of all that has been going on, while I have be gone and going!

Welcome to the New Spikers who have joined the clan, while I've been gone!
Please don't hesitate in speaking up. The more involved you become the more you will get out of this quilt-along and the more fun we can all have together!

All this talk about cutting templates and fabrics before stitching.....
Am I the only one who does not do so?
I mostly work off the full chunk of fabric ... or off-cuts that have been left from other projects.
Then trim the seamline after stitching each.
I'll do some pics, at a later time ... when I have some time to do so.

So are there any chunkers? Or am I solo on this?

And oh .... for the outer edge pieces ... I always oversize, and not trimming til the final assembly and pressing. That way, I can square it up nicely, and should the block work out a little small, can still trim it to the right size.

For keeping track of colour placements .... I use highlighters and put a slash of coordinating colour in each part, to remind me what to use. With this being 6 units the same ... I will probably might the first triangle to confirm I like my fabric placements, then will do the remaining 5 in an assembly line system.

JeanieG and Honchey and All! ... my count is to 53 including 5 that I'm not sure if they are "in" or lurking with interest.

OKSGlad re #300 ... FINALLLLLLLLY you admitted to what we all, already knew would happen!!!! And with fabrics picked already too!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
Before anyone uses or prints the measurements that Mirabelle posted PLEASE wait until her block is finished being put together to make sure everything is accurate....OKAY???
A very strange occurance has happened...for some time now my pp patterns have come out short by 1/8" on one side only...I decided to print the SYE pattern directly from the website and now the pattern is only 1/16" short...I also measured the patterns of all the others I printed and the first one "Flowers All Around" is a full 1/4"short. I measured
from top to bottom looking at the pattern as if it was a pyramid..I'm going to print all the patterns directly from the website to see what the differences are...we can't have different sizes..if there are I think the best way to make up the differences is to leave a larger seam allowance around the perimeter of the triangle...
Any other ideas???
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM

I've done only a few paper pieced project...my avatar for example and I was a "chunker" with that one. But with this I may cut the pieces out ahead of time to make it a little earlier less messy.

Last edited by nygal; 08-19-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I've done only a few paper pieced project...my avatar for example and I was a "chunker" what that one. But with this I may cut the pieces out ahead of time to make it a little earlier less messy.
So I am not alone? ... please do not leave me in the wilderness by myself!

Perhaps instead of chunking ... it'd be more aptly named "hack and whack" (thanks to JanRN for that phrase!)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM

Please make sure you cut your fabric big enough to cover with "extra"....
Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I've done only a few paper pieced project...my avatar for example and I was a "chunker" with that one. But with this I may cut the pieces out ahead of time to make it a little earlier less messy.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Anne, I noticed that when I printed out the triangles that on 2 sides the seam allowance is NOT 1/4". One side is correct. I line my ruler up with the outer edge of the pattern line and trim to 1/4" rather than cutting on the line that is there. If you sew on that line I think you'll end up with the correct size but I'd rather have all my seam allowances cut to 1/4".

Yes, QE, while I appreciate the measurements given to cut the fabric, I'm afraid I'm stuck in my Hack & Whack ways. It's amazing how little wasted fabric there is; I put all the trimmings in an apothecary jar and use them up on small blocks. The only thing I measure is large elongated triangle shapes and I usually screw them up at least once. I also don't cut all my fabric pieces at once. I do it section by section in case I don't like the color combo once I see a completed section.