Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along >

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

"Spike Your English" Block of the Month Quilt-Along

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM

QuiltE ... I use what ever method suits me at the time, or the fabric.

I've tried using the entire FQ then just trimming the parts I didn't need. I didn't like that approach as there was far too much fabric to handle and it was easy to sew parts of the excess that I didn't want sewn!! Nor does it allow you to "chain piece" when you have multiple duplicate blocks (like this project - which I am chain piecing).

One of the "spikes" that I'm making now (the first block) I'm using templates for the center bit of the flower only because I want to fussy cut the fabric that I'm using to get the medallion centered in the middle of the flower.

I might also use templates if I need to make multiples of the same piece ... triangles for example that when flipped top to bottom will fit neatly across a strip of fabric. But I only use them as a general guideline.

MOST of the time, I use a general guestimate as to the size I need, cut it larger then trim it down. That said ... when I'm usuing prints I OFTEN forget to flip the fabric and the fabric I cut is a mirror of what it should be!! Grrrr. Which is why I *prefer* to use either batiks or solids when PP ... makes life soooo much easier.

Unfortunatley for this project I didn't have enough batiks or solids in the color scheme I wanted. So I'm trying to be VERY careful!!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM

DHM, that's why I love batiks too when PP.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM

Well I am going thru my Batik's and choosing the colors for each block. I can at least do this part while waiting to begin. Do we know what the quilt will look like when done? I've never done blocks this size before.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Hurrah!!!!!!!! ...... Another Hack and Whacker shows up!

CindyA ... for those outer edges, I outline the seamline with a pink highlighter, all the way around, as my reminder to DO NOT cut til all is fully assembled. Plus makes it easier for placement of PP sections, when I am working on a multi-sectioned block assembly.
Ooohh, QuiltE, I like that idea!!!

My mind automatically goes to: bed quilt. But the more I think about it, the more I think I like the idea of placemats that some of you are going to do. I still haven't pulled my fabrics yet, but I have to use my stash. I have absolutely no more room for additional purchases.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

well, I could not stand it...I had to make my first block! it turned out so good, I love it! I will wait now to show the picture- but I am motivated now to finish up that last quilt I have to finish up (of course there are always others waiting in the wings- but not with such time limits) I will be able to make one of these then work on other 'pressing' projects (like the baby quilt for my nephew's first baby and my granddaughter's new quilt- and hubby keeps reminding me he put in a special request some time ago...) but I can make one of these blocks in just a couple hours...I love, love them! I am sort of following the colors on each block- but in batiks- and using a pretty light blue print in the outer background-where the yellow is on their blocks. great way to use up some scraps in my batik tote.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
Ooohh, QuiltE, I like that idea!!!........
I use the highlighters to mark where all my colours/fabrics are to be. Just a stroke in the section.
Then that pink outline, is like a flashing light to me, that it's the outside ....... much bolder than just the dash of colour for the fabric markings. I keep consistent with the pink, to make it easy on the brain!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM

I think with small sashing strips, these blocks would make a very nice lap quilt for a twll pereon. That's my plan at the moment. I'm going to try to hold off with the first block for anoth week or so. One quilt to finish borders and bind, another to bind, and a baby quilt to quilt and bind if at all possible before I start something new. Let's see there's 12 days left in this month.....maybe I'll make it!!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

GGal ........... and remember you don't have to have the blocks done on time! They'll be a nice reward to keep you at getting those finishes finished!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Ugh.. I feel so far behind!!! Need to get my butt into hear and start cutting... **wink wink nudge nudge** mummy dearest... Measurements will be wonderful... Hehehehe... (Love having a clever mummy who loves making life easier) hehe..
Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
I think with small sashing strips, these blocks would make a very nice lap quilt for a twll pereon. That's my plan at the moment. I'm going to try to hold off with the first block for anoth week or so. One quilt to finish borders and bind, another to bind, and a baby quilt to quilt and bind if at all possible before I start something new. Let's see there's 12 days left in this month.....maybe I'll make it!!!
Ggal think of that little red engine going up that hill, I think I can I think I can I know I can I know I can