Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Fad" toys we had as children... >

"Fad" toys we had as children...

"Fad" toys we had as children...

Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 PM

I remember most of these too. I also had a "mamma doll", & a "Betsy doll" I too had a metal doll house. I had the metal skates (and a key)that would attach to our skates. I made a skate board in high school wood shop. I loved the Beach Boys so I made mine Walnut with surfer stripes on it in maple. I loved that board. We played hide n seek forever, and Mother may I too. Red light green light we played in Germany and red rover red rover, Does anyone remember red rover? I had a yellow Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. But first I had a black 3 speed. I cried when I saw I got a black bike, my sisters was blue and little brothers was red.
Play dough
pick up stiks
lots of paper and colored pencils
crayons and coloring books
John Denver & the Beach Boys

Those were the days my friend....la la la la
Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 AM

I remember Red Rover. We used to play it in grade school.
Also Four Square - I loved it!
We also played Mother, May I and Simon Says.

And we loved jumping rope. We spent so many recesses doing that. I envied the girls who had the long, heavy ropes. I remember my third grade boyfriend wanted to jump rope with the girls. I wanted to keep him to myself and just teeter totter or swing. :D

Marbles were popular when I was in grade school, too. I had my special marble bag and favorite shooters.
We went through a phase where everyone played Cat's Cradle with twine.

We also played jacks and pick-up sticks. I had our old pick-up sticks for years, in fact, I just found the original container upstairs a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it was empty. I think my DGD's found them and dumped them out, then didn't pick up the sticks. :(

Hula hoops were popular for a while. Now they're back. My DGD's jump through them on the trampoline.

I'd forgotten about paint-by-number kits until someone mentioned them. I think everyone in our family tried them. I never finished any that I started.

We used to play a lot of Old Maid and Authors. Also checkers, Chinese checkers, and Life. We never played Monopoly, but I'm not sure why. I'd also forgotten about Tiddly Winks and Cootie. I don't think we had a Mr. Potato Head, but we enjoyed playing Cootie.

I also remember paddle balls, yo-yo's, and slinkys. Oh, and what were those things called - viewfinders? That doesn't sound right. I think I've got one of those old time toy catalogs; I'll have to look it up.

I loved paper dolls. I had a huge collection of them, probably because they were cheap. We rarely got toys except at Christmas or birthdays, but paper dolls were an exception. I was so patient and loved cutting out the clothes.

I loved to read. I remember the Christmas I received my first Bobbsey Twins book. After that I was often given Bobbsey Twins books for Christmas or birthdays or I saved my own money to buy them. I ended up with the entire collection and still have them. When I was a little older I became fascinated with Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. And Trixie Belden. And a series about kids who lived on or near Lookout Mountain and rode horses. It seems like that series was a little darker than the others. I also really liked Cherry Ames, Student Nurse, and what was the other nurse series? Something Barton?

We made lots of potholders with those metal weaving thingies, too. We were SO proud of them.

Oh, and what about Oujia (sp?) boards? We had an old one that belonged to either my mom or aunt. It was a big hit at slumber parties.

This thread is bringing back a lot of good memories!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

View Masters.... Was it Nurse _____ Barton Books? I had forgotten all of those others too!!!
That little machine that made the rubber insects? Came out about the same time as an easy bake oven....
Betsy Wetsy...
Chinese jumprope
Twister
Mouse Trap
Silly Putty
Silly Sand
Barrel of Monkeys
Magic 8 Ball
Wheel-O
Mystery Date
Incredible Edibles
Old 11-28-2009, 04:14 AM

amma I think you are meaning CreepyCrawlers. We had tha too. Also Operation game
Twister
I did lots of paint by number
Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned

Oh my I remember alot of these. I had all the Dawn dolls. Remember them? Kinda like a Barbie, just smaller.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:02 AM

chinese checkers and spinning tops.

i don't remember brand name toys. i was before t.v., so toys weren't shoved at you.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

Funny you posted this. Last year I gave my siblings the following things from our childhood:

Fizzies
Sinclair Brontosaurus soap or plastic dinosaur
SenSen
Fuzzy Wuzzys (Animal shaped soap that grew "fur" when you took it out of the package)

Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by amma
View Masters.... Was it Nurse _____ Barton Books? I had forgotten all of those others too!!!
That little machine that made the rubber insects? Came out about the same time as an easy bake oven....Betsy Wetsy...
Chinese jumprope
Twister
Mouse Trap
Silly Putty
Silly Sand
Barrel of Monkeys
Magic 8 Ball
Wheel-O
Mystery Date
Incredible Edibles

Creepy Crawlers!! My brother had one of those, I used to make the craziest colour combos for those bugs but the baking part usually stank up the house!
Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 AM

WOW, memory lane! Thanks everybody. I've enjoyed all of you. As a coal miner's daughter, we didn't have a lot but we loved to do for people and share. I remember meeting a little girl who lost her mom to cancer. I must have been six years old. I took one of my barretts and gave it to her for Christmas. We didn't think of it as something old or used, it was ours and we gave something from self. It meant something special to this giver. To have been given someone's possession has a tremendous impact. Whatchat think?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM

Sure do! I always had a Cootie or two in my house, even when my boys were little!
Remember a marble game called "Kerplunk"? Was kind of a cross between pickup sticks, marbles, and a plastic tube....noisy son of a gun, but fun!