Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small Ironing Board for Sewing Room - Need Suggestions, Please >

Small Ironing Board for Sewing Room - Need Suggestions, Please

Small Ironing Board for Sewing Room - Need Suggestions, Please

Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM

I would use it for scraps of different sizes!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Interesting! I will check it out; I love Jenny! She's my go-to gal!

Thanks everyone for all your responses. What a great bunch we have here!

Originally Posted by bobbiesboutique View Post
I use a large floor tile and covered it with batting and fabric learned that from Jenny on MSQC
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM

I bought a small table top ironing board located in dorm supplies at JoAnn's a couple of years ago. Fits nicely on top my table. I have recovered it a couple of times and added more padding. It's made to hang on the back of a dorm door and has a dry erase board on the back.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 PM

What a bunch of great replys! and pictures.
Empty bins? Not a problem for a quilter, they will soon be filled and you will want More empty bins, LOL.

My hubby made me a 'big board' as requested one year for Christmas, Love it, however wood will warp when it has lots of steam applied........ask me how I know.......so since we've turned it around and put limited amounts of aluminum foil directly on the wood, covered by 1 thickness of insulbrite and removable ironing board fabric that I put elastic on, I've had good success.

Oh BTW: I have also marked the edge of my big board cover with magic marker to measure 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 yard increments so if I need to do a quick check to see how big that scrap is I can do so without hunting down my measuring tape [that should tell you how often my measuring items go missing.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Years ago, I had only a very small breakfast nook in our townhouse to sew in. I got a wooden ironing board that fastened on the wall and dropped down. I was excellent because it could be moved up and out of the way when not in use.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM

I also have used one of the fold up ones that hangs over the door. Takes up almost no space when folded up and is big enough for use when folded down.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:42 PM

I was just looking through the April/May 2013 Thread magazine and on page 13 they have a cute pressing board. I was thinking you could take something like this and attached it to a TV tray to keep by your side. I t would be like Sak's but you wouldn't have to make. I am thinking of making myself Sak's kind. Very handy then won't have to take the big ironing board out. Does anyone use one of the small irons (I think it is a seaming iron). If so, how does it work for you.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:41 PM

I was at the thrift store today and bought a wooden TV dinner tray that folds away. I'm turning it into a mini ironing board for the living room with cotton batting and a cover. I can make the cover easily enough, I'll put it next to my Singer 201 in the living room.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM

What a great idea!! Especially for limited space!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Yes, I have one that could be your's twin. I used one layer of teflon fabric, shiny side up, a layer of insulbright, and a layer of 100% cotton batting. I covered all that with a two layers of plain muslin and used the staple gun to secure all the layers. Then I got some pillow ticking and made a removable / washable cover for it. I used grommets and cotton laundry cording, which is also replaceable. One of my friends made her top with elastic, but I felt like it didn't keep the top as taut as I wanted mine to be. And I usually lay a piece of plain muslin on top of the ticking if I am starching a lot of pieces to keep as much spray starch off of it as I can.

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
I love mine that I made from wooden tv tray from Walmart..around $7. sure is convenient by my machine..used aluminum foil next to wood..then 2 layers of batting and then fabric..made it with elastic around the edge[ATTACH=CONFIG]430773[/ATTACH] so I can slip it off to wash...