Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Prices for finished quilts ... >

Prices for finished quilts ...

Prices for finished quilts ...

Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
... I use to sell crafts. No one ever gets the worth of their labor out of hand crafted item. You know that your time put into an item is priceless. ....
I have to agree with this. Having done crafts such as needlepoint and cross stitch for many, many years, I think you just have to look at crafting as an enjoyable hobby. If you are able to sell an item and make a few dollars then that's icing on the cake.

I've only been doing quilting for a month or two and am almost finished my second. My partner tells me I've spent nearly $2000 so far (wait till today's $156 charge comes in for batting and backing fabric for my king single quilt ). Quilting is, or can be, a very expensive hobby and the chances of recouping even fair costs seems to be a goal too far.

Just today in a homewares shop I saw quilts for $75. No doubt made in China but I have to say some of them were really beautiful and I was tempted momentarily. I know family and friends will value our homemade quilts but will most strangers really spend hundreds or more when, with the influx of Asian-made knockoffs, they can get one for under $100?

My apologies for the negative post but that's how I seen things.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 AM

My thought after seeing the many quilts my sister has made for charity is that I would price on the low side to allow people to have a really special quilt. I can't control IF they know or appreciate the work or cost that went into it. What good are the quilts sitting in the closet? We all have gifts and I've been blessed to have my sister take the time to share hers with me and with others. Once money and time is spent can we really have it back? Yet, if we do this as a means of income, then that is another issue.
I guess it all depends on personal motivation. That is the neat part of being able to post and get feedback. Hope your quilts find homes with people that value the love,time, and cost you put into them.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

If you have quilted for others, depending on the sizes of those quilts and what you charged them, then price accordingly then add the other factors in when you created the quilts you're going to sell. Just like anything else; parts and labor. And a percentage for markup.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM

There are so many ways to approach pricing, and every quilt is different. Different sizes, different complexities, different quality fabrics, etc., etc. It's hard enough to price the quilt you are currently making or have just completed because all your costs and your time are fresh in your mind. ptquilts (above) had it VERY right when she said that 20% is quite low. When I showed some of mine to some quilt shops a few years ago they wanted 50%. Yes, try a few with what feels like a reasonable, or slightly more than reasonable, price and see how you feel when you sell. There's no right or wrong, of course. Just what you are comfortable with.