Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM

I would use a sticky wash away. the two I like best are Floriani Wet N Gone Tacky. It peels like tape and sticks to the back of the fabric. Then I hoop and sew. It rinses out completely leaving a nice embroidery. My second choice is the Inspira version. I've used Sulky and ruined sooooo many projects I won't buy it any more.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond Deluxe and use the professional 5D embroidery system. A gentleman named Tim Frost, known as Mr. Patience writes instruction books and conducts online classes for this software. I'm currently working on quilted car trash bags. New to quilting and hope to use the EM to crate quilt squares with the floral designs for my next project. New to quilting and just finished a t shirt quilt.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM

I have done quite a few quilts. I make the entire quilt top and sandwich as usual. I pick a one or two pass design (redwork o.k.) and put all three layers in the hoop. Loosen the screw of the hoop, until you can get the 3 layers in. (No stabilizer is needed.) Make sure that there is no drag on the quilt area, because the quilt is heavy. I use warm and natural and have no problem. I use the 5x7 hoop at all times, because it is my largest one. When quilting is completed I bind as usual.
Originally Posted by MarnieH View Post
Hi everyone, I have a Husq. Topaz30, and some Anita Good Design packages for quilting patterns. Can anyone tell me whether you are suppose to hoop the sandwiches squareI use warm and natural as batting and it works.s or not? I tried to find instructions on YouTube and Anita good deism websites. Not finding helpful info, so I can get started. Thanks,
Old 08-24-2013, 01:05 PM

Hi everyone out there!!
I use MAC and have the MacBroidery lettering software which was a gift. I like this software but now am trying to convert downloaded designs and find most of them are not recognized and are really for PC windows. I think I need to buy conversion software but am not certain. Can anyone advise? I was looking at Convert it Mac and I think this is what I need (or something similar)I am using OS X 10.8.4. mountain lion. Research tells me that this is compatible with Lion but what about Mountain Lion? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I have done quite a few quilts. I make the entire quilt top and sandwich as usual. I pick a one or two pass design (redwork o.k.) and put all three layers in the hoop. Loosen the screw of the hoop, until you can get the 3 layers in. (No stabilizer is needed.) Make sure that there is no drag on the quilt area, because the quilt is heavy. I use warm and natural and have no problem. I use the 5x7 hoop at all times, because it is my largest one. When quilting is completed I bind as usual.
My question to Freddie is how do you make sure there is no drag on the quilt? Does the machine have to be set down into a table top? How big of a quilt have you done? What machine do you have?

I am so interested in this idea...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by cheriami View Post
My question to Freddie is how do you make sure there is no drag on the quilt? Does the machine have to be set down into a table top? How big of a quilt have you done? What machine do you have?

I am so interested in this idea...
In the first place, make sure that you have tables, a bed or anything that will hold you quilt up and not hanging down on the floor. I have my bed in the back, table space on the left of my machine and a smaller table next to me on the left and beside my chair. When hooped, have the quilt puddled around the machine hoop. When I am quilting a large quilt, I have put my arms on either side of my machine and held the material off the table, so it would be even with the machine. Just slightly lift, don't push. I don't have the machine set into the table, therefore I do it as above. I have the Brother PE770, embroidery only and use the 5x7 hoop.If you have any questions, e-mail me private, and I'll try to help you out.

Last edited by Freddie; 08-26-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: not finished
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and your suggestions for searches and d/l videos...a really good idea. I didn't know you could do that. Can you tell me where to learn to d/l videos from youtube? Thanks again.
Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
Don't be afraid to use your embroidery part of the machine. For me it is the least threatening part of a sewing machine.

Check out youtube for your brand and d/l videos teaching you how to use it. Also do a search on line on basics of embroidery machine and learn from that as well. If you can be so lucky as I was earlier this year having a lady locally give some of us some lessons on our machines (all for $15 a lesson which lasted 2-3 hours each) it is worth it and a lot more. I would have gladly spent up to $40 an hour to learn such things.

I have learned so much on my own by d/l online videos on how to do various type projects with my embroidery machine as well as using my Evolution serger, my embellisher and of course my Quattro 2 embroidery machine.

I d/l so I can have it on my laptop and tablet to view whenever I want to. You can d/l FREE downloaders for such videos from youtube and other places.

The way to feel more at ease with our machines is to do our research on how to use them as well as types of fabrics, stabilizers and such to use for each project we create.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Be careful with the new Vikings. Most dealers are telling customers to stay away. They are now made by Singer. I have the Designer SE LE and the Diamond LE. I love them both. I have been making a lot of table runners, wall hangings and potholders. It is a lot of fun.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Also check your machine brand's website. Most of them have lots of patterns, instructions, etc available to watch and/or download.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by plhooyer View Post
Be careful with the new Vikings. Most dealers are telling customers to stay away. They are now made by Singer. I have the Designer SE LE and the Diamond LE. I love them both. I have been making a lot of table runners, wall hangings and potholders. It is a lot of fun.
Not even so. I have the Diamond Deluxe that is made in Sweeden by Viking. Just because Viking now owns Singer and Pfaff doesn't mean they'll let anyone else bring them down. The key is; Viking owns these companies, not Singer or Pfaff. I don't know any Viking dealers that would say that, it would be like cutting off their nose to despite thier face. No profits in making that statement and if it was a different dealer for a different machine then that also sucks. I think the love of machines rather emb or regular is so great and each company has many true blue customers that no dealer should be downgrading another. Each company, offers things that another might not. I love my Vikings and I'm so looking forward to the new ones coming out next month along with the upgraded software.